S90 + Ikelite housing : First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the photo, Penti, I see what you're saying now. It does seem to me, however, that with the simple addition of that hand-drawn indication line (crude or not), the problem is pretty easily managed... right?

However, it doesn't seem to be that wide and easy on the S90 case, if you look at pics of the camera and pics of the rig you can see why he says that a millimeter precision is requiered not to zoom in or out... The Ike control just fits precisely the zoom control on the camera, there is no extra space at all...

I see what you mean now. With the control being so tight around the actual camera's zoom there is very little "play" or "buffer" between them. With it being so close, resetting the zoom control to neutral after zooming could easily activate it in the other direction. Hmmmm.... Sorry for jumping the gun before really knowing the facts. Others have mentioned this on other Ike housings and I have always told them that you just need to reset it to neutral and its not really an issue at all. With these small tolerances in the S90 case a return spring looks warranted.

Also has anyone done testing on low light performance @ high iso ranges with the S90? If so what do you feel the usable range is "before too much noise starts to appear"?

Last edited:
I have tried my S-90 and WP-DC35 at home (not in the water yet) and find the included flash diffuser, although a little mickey mouse, sis a pretty good job of getting the light from the camera's flash around the lens port. At least it seemed to do a better job than the pics with the Ikelite housing showed. Now if I can just come up with a good way to attach a 67mm WA lens - probably the FIX/Fisheye, I will be able to use it with my Inon strobe - Anybody want an Inon UWL AD 105 lens? I guess I may keep it to use with the old Sony P100 and P150 for a while until I get really used to the Canon and all of it's controls and options. I have used the Sony so long I can takes pictures with my eyes closed.

Photos of the Fix S90 housing which will apparently be released on Dec 21 in Japan : FIX S90.

It looks beautiful !

Translated by google :

Compact and tough aluminum body
Compact PowerShot S90 is an ultra-light aluminum body that fits perfectly into. Small depth of 60m and while proud of pressure, corresponds to various needs.

Required to dial the shadow, for all buttons. Camera can operate in the same sense. S90 also features the front of this machine to rotate the dial ring is a feature of the controller.

Built-in flash in macro mode easy
I attach the diffuser can be taken using the built-in flash. Does not require external lighting, Osamarimasu a very compact configuration.

Easy to connect an external flash
Plug in the included optical cable to optical cable adapter, external TTL Auto shooting easy. Fiber optic cable, and Inontaipu Shiando****aipu (cut off) you can use the two this time.

Accessory equipment at the top of the housing. NEW FIX-based shoe relief through the roundabout, you can do well while maintaining its compact size and deployment of the flash light.

Developing a lens adapter can be attached to the front port. M67, ST, 28AD-like lens mount and wide each / enables a wide range of shooting with a macro lens.

Just finished my first dive with the S90, Ikelite housing and INON S2000
Overall I am very happy with the setup
A few observations.
Be very careful putting the camera in the case, and check everything. Its very easy for something not to fit perfectly and for buttons to not work. I had to re-seat the camera, the zoom lever wasn't aligned just right.
The On/Off switch requires a lot of pressure, more than the other buttons.
The S90 has auto-off set at 1 minute, change it to 3 (max); and occasionally half press the
shutter to keep it awake.
The INON S2000 works in STTL Mode, it did not with my old Olympus 5050.
Autofocus worked very well, much better than my Olympus 5050.
Shoot in RAW+JPEG mode, even with the INON I needed to adjust the white balance on the computer.
The Ikelite manual has some useful suggestions for camera settings, I used most of them, but can't remember what they are right now.
I need to play with the Flash settings a bit more, I need to find the right setting to reduce the power of the camera flash and speed up recharge, while still getting full strength from the INON. When I adjusted the S90 to below -1, the INON strength seemed to decrease also.

Unfortunately the diving itself wasn't that great, bad visibility and a boring reef (Koh Chang, Thailand). Looking forward to Koh Lanta in February.

Photos of the Fix S90 housing which will apparently be released on Dec 21 in Japan : FIX S90.

It looks beautiful !

Translated by google :

Compact and tough aluminum body
Compact PowerShot S90 is an ultra-light aluminum body that fits perfectly into. Small depth of 60m and while proud of pressure, corresponds to various needs.

Required to dial the shadow, for all buttons. Camera can operate in the same sense. S90 also features the front of this machine to rotate the dial ring is a feature of the controller.

Built-in flash in macro mode easy
I attach the diffuser can be taken using the built-in flash. Does not require external lighting, Osamarimasu a very compact configuration.

Easy to connect an external flash
Plug in the included optical cable to optical cable adapter, external TTL Auto shooting easy. Fiber optic cable, and Inontaipu Shiando****aipu (cut off) you can use the two this time.

Accessory equipment at the top of the housing. NEW FIX-based shoe relief through the roundabout, you can do well while maintaining its compact size and deployment of the flash light.

Developing a lens adapter can be attached to the front port. M67, ST, 28AD-like lens mount and wide each / enables a wide range of shooting with a macro lens.

I agree, it does look beautiful
all I had seen was the silly cartoon picture, but now that I see the real thing it looks so much more useful than the Canon housing I have, especially easy flash attachment, lens mount maybe even control of rear ring - I guess I will have to get it as well.

The silly cartoon was a CAD generated model. The concept behind CAD is that then the ordinates from the 3D model can be converted to machine language and then be provided to a CNC mill which can then cut exactly what is shown in the "silly cartoon."

The CAD drawing is the big part, setting a block of aluminum in a mill is the lesser part. When you see a CAD generated model that is probably a pretty good indicator the real thing is fully possible.

The rear control ring is available it does appear, the copy states that all controls are available. Sounds good and looks good.

N

Hello CompuDude,

how come auto mode is not so good? how can it be? How can CANON make such a mistake? have you find out more about this automode problem?

thanks

mario

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom