S90 + Ikelite housing : First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think my Canon housing is waiting for me at work, but I was playing with the camera and my Inon UWL-105AD and found that when the camera lens is at 28mm there is vigneting (sp?) even when the lens is practically touching the AD lens, so it really doesn't look like there is any chance this lens will work no matter what housing is used.

I think my Canon housing is waiting for me at work, but I was playing with the camera and my Inon UWL-105AD and found that when the camera lens is at 28mm there is vigneting (sp?) even when the lens is practically touching the AD lens, so it really doesn't look like there is any chance this lens will work no matter what housing is used.

The UWL-105 was not designed for use with 28mm cameras. I'm not sure why people are continually surprised that there is vignetting, as a result, when paired with an inappropriate camera.

Inon specifically designed the UWL-100 28 AD for use with 28mm cameras (such as the S80, S90, G10, G11, etc.), to combat this very issue.

INON Wide Lens?UWL-100 28AD?[TOP]

I already had the UWL-105AD for use with a Sony p-100 and Fuji f30, so I thought I would try it. It actually seems to work a little better with the camera in the Canon housing than hand held (duh), but it would not work any better with the Ikelite housing, I am certain. The Canon housing DOES have a much better flash diffuser, probably helped by the smaller lens port. At least trying out of water but in the housing the diffuser does a pretty good job of getting light to the whole frame of a close up picture - not much shadowing.

I meant a better flash diffuser than the Ikelite.

Definitely. Ikelite tends to build housings for more serious photographers, and thus tends to assume you'll be using a strobe. Their efforts towards an internal-strobe-only configuration sometimes leave something to be desired.

OTOH, Canon tends to assume they can sell you everything you need, and for the casual user who will never be adding a strobe, they're actually pretty darned good.

If I knew for a fact (hint, you don't know what you're missing unless you've spent enough time using both to really know) that I would never add a strobe, handles, add-on lenses, etc, I'd be happy with simple, inexpensive Canon housings.

test pîctures taken with the Dyron WA20 (Ike case) :

http://www.plongeur.com/forums/showpost.php?p=856398&postcount=60

First with the WAL, second with no WAL, both no zoom, same place.

No vignetting, but the FOV gain seems minimal to me and I seriously doubt that :

There isn't a huge difference between 24mm and 28mm (native).

Non-members can't view the attachments on the other board, can you re-post them here?

There isn't a huge difference between 24mm and 28mm (native).

Non-members can't view the attachments on the other board, can you re-post them here?

Yes, but there should be between a supposed 24mm underwater and 28mm native : with the water refraction a native 28mm is actually a 28 x 1.33 = 37mm underwater !!!

Dyron announced a 50 % increase in the FOV, with a quick calculation from what I see it seems only to be around 23%.

So if we agree on saying that the S90 is a 28mm in the air / 37mm underwate the WA 24 seems to widen it only to 24 mm in the air / 30mm underwater

First pic with the Dyron WA20, second with no WAL, both no zoom, same place :

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Is it just me or is the picture quality with the Dyron lens attached terrible?

This is the set up im now looking at ,prices and availability based on UK
Canon S90 + Ikelite housing: £649.99
Epoque DCL-20 67mm lens: £249.99
Epoque DML-2 67macro lens: £99.00
Sea&Sea YS-110a head only: £354.99
Sea&Sea Fibre optic cable: £49.99
Sea&Sea Strobe mask set: £18.99
Ikelite single tray: £48.92
Dyron flexi arm 36cm: 59.99
TOTAL: £1531.86

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back