Rusty cylinders-need help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I send my tanks to hydro with old functional valves basically as handles
and when they are back I remove them, clean out the tank threads, dry
the insides properly put in a new valve shut it and leave the tank empty
until I decide how to utilise it perhaps sometimes a month or year later

The cooler I have now pulls about 5 amps and has no problem keeping up with my tiny compressor. I have no idea how many CFM it would handle, but any cooling is better than no cooling. Just don't let the coolant temperature get too close to freezing or you will deadhead your compressor when the cooling loop freezes the condensate.

My compressor sits on top of a storage cabinet and the nitrox stick is mounted high on the wall above it, out of the way. The cooler sits on a shelf up next to the ceiling around the corner. Oxygen tank sits on the other side of a toolbox by my office door. CO monitor is mounted in the lid of a toolbox beside the compressor. Anybody walking in would not recognize that there is a tank filling system there.
I read about all these awesome setups and then I read that someone doesn't want to post pictures for fear of judgement. I really wish we could all just post pictures of our setups with the label "WIP" (work in progress). That's what my system is, and will be for some time. Truth be told I'm a little lazy when it comes to organization. If I can get it to work, looking pretty doesn't usually matter.

My basement full of dive gear and my fill station are both pretty embarrassing, but I've posted pictures.

With that said, really would like to see some pictures of your working "mess". Promise no judgements.

-- Fun fact, I've had a few people send me pictures and ask me not to post them / share online because they don't need the scuba community telling them they're doing it "wrong". Evwryone is doing it wrong in someone's eyes, lol.

Hot mess (WIP:));
Screenshot_20211127-065314_Gallery.jpg

Fun fact, do you know why house water filters are often non see through housings? So people can't how dirt the water is that they drink,...
Cut any water pipe open on a 5-10 year old home, you'll see what I mean,

Hear is my fill station and tank mess,
My shop is never big enough, but one day I hope to have a large shop,

Attachments

• 20211127_074341.jpg
    20211127_074341.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211127_074418.jpg
    20211127_074418.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20211127_074302.jpg
    20211127_074302.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 65
  • 20211127_074213.jpg
    20211127_074213.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 75
Fun fact, do you know why house water filters are often non see through housings? So people can't how dirt the water is that they drink,...
Cut any water pipe open on a 5-10 year old home, you'll see what I mean,

Hear is my fill station and tank mess,
My shop is never big enough, but one day I hope to have a large shop,
And just like that, we're friends!

Actually I think I aspire to be that clean one day. Right now I'm spread out all over the place.

Yeah wall space in for me, is always a premium, at 800 sq ft shop,
Have to be efficient to fit, dive fill station,
2 lathes, welders, 2 drill presses, big bandsaw lg toolbox, bolts bins, electrical soldering bench, other benches steel rack, etc,

2 lathes, welders, 2 drill presses, big bandsaw lg toolbox, bolts bins, electrical soldering bench, other benches steel rack, etc,
We work out of a 9800 sq ft shop and I'm out of room, lol! My scuba "crap" just got bumped to a 40' sea container for the time being.

My shop is bigger but there are 10 people working there. 2 migs, a tig, a big stick machine, 3 mills, 2 lathes, a drill press, three car lifts, 5 jib cranes. 100's of tires and all the machinery associated with that. Wall space is really valuable.

The air is super dry, at atmospheric pressure. Not so dry at tank pressure. A -60 dewpoint at atmospheric pressure will allow condensation at 39F and 3500 PSI
Im not sure you understand dew point correctly.

When breathing air is referred to as -60F dew point, that means, -60F pressure dew point at specified pressure, typically 4,500 psi.

You are correct that -60F dew point air @ atmospheric pressure would be pretty wet at high pressure, but thays not what the measurement is referring to.

-60F refers to pressure dew point at 4,500 psi. (Typically) and is plenty dry enough to sop up small amounts of moisture from a vessel.

If your method of measurement was actually used, every steel tank would rust like crazy.

Im not sure you understand dew point correctly.

When breathing air is referred to as -60F dew point, that means, -60F pressure dew point at specified pressure, typically 4,500 psi.

You are correct that -60F dew point air @ atmospheric pressure would be pretty wet at high pressure, but thays not what the measurement is referring to.

-60F refers to pressure dew point at 4,500 psi. (Typically) and is plenty dry enough to sop up small amounts of moisture from a vessel.

If your method of measurement was actually used, every steel tank would rust like crazy.
Try running that through the calculator.

Try running that through the calculator.
It's not that the calculator is incorrect, your understanding is incorrect.

-60F is pressure dew point at service pressure.

The dew point of the air in a scuba cylinder is typically -60F dew point @ 4,500 psi. (Meaning the cylinder walls would need to be @ -60F for condensation to occer)

It is not 38F, do you realize the issues that would cause?

Further, the desiccant in the dryer cartridges isn't capable of drying the air to those dew points you suggest, the desiccant will always dry lower than -40F unless it's saturated.

If you explain where your getting this from I can help you understand it better, but I assure you I know what I'm talking about here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom