Runaway buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If an instabuddy wants to take me to court so be it, I dive with an OW card, people dont know i'm an instructor when I go out.

ba_hiker:
There are some reports of divers in monterey being unable to proberly seat there hoses with the hat on.

Also note that there is a small cut out one one side, and it may need to be toward the coorugated bc hose in order to operate successfully. this may make it more diffcult to reconnect underwater. Get one or two and try them.

You mean 1 report?

I have mine on a Oxycheq wing... with the round coro hose... doesn't snag or pop the LP hose off... Now on a H wing with the oblong hose I can see it being a problem

edit: I have no problem connecting or disconnecting with drygloves... without the hat it is a lot harder to disconect. The story of Pete Gebman's 10 sec elevator ride keeps coming to mind

Cheekymonkey:
Its a shame they don't teach it
I agree. Another thread started in response to this one asks what should be included in OW instruction.

I'll answer here: It should be taught that "training dives for skill development and conditioned response to emergencies are essential and should be done regularly".

This could even be emphasized by having every fifth page of a log book titled TRAINING DIVE and good behavior could be rewarded with merit badges. :D

ok, i had to read that five times, but i got it

:wink:

funny you should mention it, my next training dive is scheduled for this Saturday... the excuse is a cave dive or two at Paradise Springs

Cheekymonkey:
Its a shame they don't teach it

I learned about this long after class. When I was certified, we had to inflate our horse collar BCs manually. I did learn this later...

Ben_ca:
You mean 1 report?
Well I have two other reports, but without details.

But for me even one report of a potentially dangerious situation requies some examination. Though often not much...

Uncle Pug:
What would be the consequence of a hose inadvertently disconnecting (either partially or completely) from the inflator?

Are hoses with hose hats easy to reconnect or are they just easier to disconnect?

A runaway ascent due to a stuck inflator can be mitigated immediately by venting the BC/wing until the inflator hose can be disconnected.

What immediate mitigation is available for a runaway descent due to a disconnected inflator hose?

What is the incidence of stuck inflators? Is there a way to keep this from happening? Is there a better way to make disconnecting the hose from a stuck inflator easy and at the same time reduce or eliminate the possibility of an accidental disconnect?

What is the incidence of disconnected inflator hoses due to hose hats? Is there a way to keep this from happening?

Does the type of dive make a difference? (shore vs boat, wet vs dry, rec vs tech, ect.)

UP has this exactly right, from my perspective. What is the chance of an inflator problem and what can be done about it vs. what are the potential problems with the fix (and any remaining chances of failure of the initial issue) and what can be done about them. And what conditions make the potential problems more or less likely.

For me the answer is simple.

Ben_ca:
The story of Pete Gebman's 10 sec elevator ride keeps coming to mind
Ben, I'm not familiar with Pete Gebman's 10 sec elevator ride but I'm assuming that it has something to do with a stuck inflator and uncontrolled ascent.

If that is the case, why didn't he use the dump button on his inflator to stop the ascent while attempting to disconnect the inflator hose?

IIRC this guys ascent was caused by IP creep on his apeks first stage that due to a strange second stage setting manifested itself as an inflator freeflow rather than regulator and this happened approaching a lengthy deco stop.

It might from memory also have been the redundant bladder hose but not 100% on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom