Runaway buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stuck inflator?
I'm sure it was introduced to me in OW; likely forgot walking away from the pool.
It was dang memorable when it happened following BC maint. (I was not impressive)
One of many skills I didn't know I didn't have.
Glad it turned out well for your buddy.

Taught is forgot.
Trained is ingrained. (dang I'm witty tonight)

I witnessed a similar event recently in Cozumel, Mexico. I was diving with my buddy and I watched as the same thing happened to my mother and father diving next to us. We were in 70 ft. of water and my mother paniced and shot up. I believe that thinking about or imitating these types of emergencies is a necessary practice. Hindsight is always 20/20, but we love a dangerous sport if your head is not in the right place at the right time. One course of action could have been to give your buddy the octo and turn their air off, it may not be as quick as a hose disconnection but anyone could do it.

My only question is why she didn't grab the rope at 70ft instead of 15.

PerroneFord:
My only question is why she didn't grab the rope at 70ft instead of 15.
Because she couldnt reach it?

This is why I like scubaboard so much. Its an area to analyze , discuss and conclude why we practice what we learned or what we forgot about. All divers in OW classes have had to assemble and dissasemble the equipment, I am sure anyone certified also had to practice removing the LP from the BC underwater and put it back on. It is one of just many skills we do and after completing the course tend to forget we did it. I applaud everyone here discussing the various aspects of this simple skill we all sometimes forget about and reading it here helps reinforce why it is a required skill we all need to remember and practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom