Runaway buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover:
Uncle Pug, I can dump faster - as I fill from depth. I’m asking about - stuff that bladder till it’s blowing off, keep stuffing and check the dumps can overcome the LP.
Well, that would be easy enough to check... but if the dumps can't keep up then I suppose the bladder seams would part company somewhere along the line and that would take of that. :D Give it a try. It would seem that BC/wing designers would take care to make sure that dump capacity was greater that inflator capacity... but...

In the real world you should stay ahead the game. Why wait until your bladder is stuffed before relieving the extra unwanted pressure.

Hmm...
I haven't read the entire thread, but I'll throw this out there. I love the Halcyon LP inflator hose. The connection mechanism on it is quite easy to disconnect...
On many of the other LP hoses, you have to press the hose towards the inflator, then pull back on the disconnect mechanism. With the Halcyon hose you just pull back and it comes off.

SparticleBrane:
Hmm...
I haven't read the entire thread, but I'll throw this out there. I love the Halcyon LP inflator hose. The connection mechanism on it is quite easy to disconnect...
On many of the other LP hoses, you have to press the hose towards the inflator, then pull back on the disconnect mechanism. With the Halcyon hose you just pull back and it comes off.

Well I hope you read this message of the thread...:D

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2510409&postcount=5

Heh that's what I get for not reading it. :wink:
Seriously though I've never come across a Halcyon LP hose that takes more than a slight pull on the mechanism to disconnect it.

SparticleBrane:
Heh that's what I get for not reading it. :wink:
Seriously though I've never come across a Halcyon LP hose that takes more than a slight pull on the mechanism to disconnect it.

If my experience is any indicator put one of those "hats" on it and it doesn't take even that; just jiggle the corrugated hose a wee bit.

Diver0001:
press both the "inflate" and "vent" buttons of your BCD at the same time. You won't move.
Tigerman:
neither her, nor me thought about the vent button on the inflator

Flare ~ Vent ~ Disconnect

For single tank recreational diving, when dealing with a stuck open inflator it is better to use the inflator vent button to dump the extra flow and not a shoulder dump, pull dump or rear dump which require you to go head up or head down and lose your flared position.

This is something that can and should be handled from a flared horizontal position... with one hand hold the inflator up and push the vent button and with the other hand disconnect (if even necessary) the lp hose.

Care should be taken not to dump more air than necessary, especially if the lp hose is going to be disconnected.

A couple of other things to consider:
1. Test your inflator with a quick burst before entering the water to see if it is sticky. If it is then fix it before diving with it.
2. Pay attention to your buoyancy. If you are getting unexpectedly positive listen for an inflator leak and take immediate but measured action.
3. Don't wait until the situation is out of hand before notifying your buddy but don't delay controlling the situation in order to notify your buddy. Left hand holds inflator up and vents excess air through mouth piece while right hand flashes light signal at buddy.

ArcticDiver:
If my experience is any indicator put one of those "hats" on it and it doesn't take even that; just jiggle the corrugated hose a wee bit.

Amen to that - occasionally, during a pre-dive check, mine has caught on the Halcyon band that is secured to the shoulder strap D-ring and popped itself off. I check that pretty carefully now...

...then why use a hose hat at all? If the Halcyon LP hoses come off so easily what's the point of having a hose hat on it? Seems kinda self-defeating if you ask me.

SparticleBrane:
...then why use a hose hat at all? If the Halcyon LP hoses come off so easily what's the point of having a hose hat on it? Seems kinda self-defeating if you ask me.

EXACTLY!

As I've posted this gadget is an unneccesary and possibly dangerous addition to dive gear.

I used it because it was on the borrowed hose. It failed the use test. Off it went; never to be used again.

At best a person could say it needs extra attention to be safe; attention that should be directed at other, needed, gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom