Runaway buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently used a Hose Hat. Took it off the hose and gave it back to its' owner. In my mind it is a dangerous item.

Here is what happened:
I borrowed a wing to try out. The LP inflator hose with it had the Hat on it. When I assembled the gear I noticed the had touched the wing corrugated inflator hose. But, I had the connector tight so I didn't worry.(Bad Choice as it turned out).

The hat got caught in the corrugated inflator hose and disconnected it. This happened sometime between the shore and the time I attempted to reinflate the wing after descending from the surface. The disconnect was not immediately apparent.

So, after a hard landing on the bottom 20' below and a bit of troubleshooting decided to fire the hat. Took it off.

The manufacturer told me via email that if I took care to be absolutely sure there was no corrugated hose caught in the hat flange all would be well. He had several other reports of similar events. But once he showed them the correct way there was no problem. That says accident prone design to me.

Since then I've talked to others who have either thrown the gadget away, or given it to some unsuspecting soul.

I went out to experiment. I just got a bit more than I bargained for. At least it was in 20' of water; which is why we were in shallow water.

The main solution to inflator problems would appear to be properly maintained kit.

Ive had a few leaks, more like slow seeps in my one drysuit valve. Usually caused by sand/mud/assorted crap - a clean solves it.

Uncle Pug:
Ben, I'm not familiar with Pete Gebman's 10 sec elevator ride but I'm assuming that it has something to do with a stuck inflator and uncontrolled ascent.

If that is the case, why didn't he use the dump button on his inflator to stop the ascent while attempting to disconnect the inflator hose?

UP I couldn't find the post here on SB but here's the TDS version.

I think that with the H style coro inflator hoses the hat's catch on the ridges.

Ben_ca:
here's the TDS version

H style coro inflator hoses the hat's catch on the ridges.
Thanks, I'll read it.

And I think you are probably right about it catching on the corrugations... though it is not only Halcyon hoses that have these type of corrugations. The smoother hose pictured in my previous post wouldn't appear to have that problem.

I guess for folks wanting a quick disconnect lp hose it would be prudent to consider (and test) whether it would be a problem with their particular inflator hose.

I saw those little hose hats, actually the name intrigued me, but couldn’t figure out what they were for. Wonderful to read about this now, as when rushed I don’t get it off as smoothly as I’d prefer – I’m expecting to be pretty doggone rushed if I’ve got a runaway. Nobody flip out, I’m just looking.

Would someone be able to post pictures of the two types of hoses, the catcher and not. I’d like to see the type of hose to cause problems that you can see and compare it with mine.
Could the catching on the corrugations be solved by a deft application of Duct tape?

Thanks for the suggestion to do some equipment experimentation. I’m guilty of assuming the out would keep up with the in and haven’t put it to a full blown test. How do I go about such a test safely? I have done it in a shallow end of pool, no big deal; I just don’t think it will be the same thing at depth. All I can think of is to tie off to something or put on a zillion pounds of weight and hire an army to swim it back up. Or (yikes) is a submerged test a really stupid idea period?

redrover:
I have done it in a shallow end of pool, no big deal; I just don’t think it will be the same thing at depth.
Try it and find out... then you'll know. You dive at depth... why not practice at depth.

The main difference at *depth* is inside your head. That isn't to say that it is not significant. In fact it can end up being the critical difference. That is why practice at depth is essential.

redrover:
I saw those little hose hats, actually the name intrigued me, but couldn’t figure out what they were for. Wonderful to read about this now, as when rushed I don’t get it off as smoothly as I’d prefer – I’m expecting to be pretty doggone rushed if I’ve got a runaway. Nobody flip out, I’m just looking.

Would someone be able to post pictures of the two types of hoses, the catcher and not. I’d like to see the type of hose to cause problems that you can see and compare it with mine.
Could the catching on the corrugations be solved by a deft application of Duct tape?

Thanks for the suggestion to do some equipment experimentation. I’m guilty of assuming the out would keep up with the in and haven’t put it to a full blown test. How do I go about such a test safely? I have done it in a shallow end of pool, no big deal; I just don’t think it will be the same thing at depth. All I can think of is to tie off to something or put on a zillion pounds of weight and hire an army to swim it back up. Or (yikes) is a submerged test a really stupid idea period?

Re: Duct Tape.
Why buy and install a gadget that requires you to do something else to overcome its' design to be safe? Especially when the hose pre-gadget works just fine.

Uncle Pug, I can dump faster - as I fill from depth. I’m asking about - stuff that bladder till it’s blowing off, keep stuffing and check the dumps can overcome the LP. My concern about depth is; well, screwing up of course and how do I ensure I stay down with that much air in the bladder to even begin? I’ve read some posts that the dump either can, or cannot and I’d like to know what I have.

All this is a result of the runaway thread. I don’t want to be that aqua rocket somebody has to chase down or feel bad about not.

The duct tape – As I said, when I rush to disengage the LP as in a freaking urgent need, I have a hard time. And in such case there is little time to be wasting.
Just looking at the hats, I’m not inclined for the reasons stated. Some people said they would work better with one corrugated vs another, I’d like to see what they mean.
So ok, hypothetical – could a couple of wraps at the sticky place on the corrugated hose keep the hat brim from getting hooked?

redrover:
The duct tape – As I said, when I rush to disengage the LP as in a freaking urgent need, I have a hard time. And in such case there is little time to be wasting.
Just looking at the hats, I’m not inclined for the reasons stated. Some people said they would work better with one corrugated vs another, I’d like to see what they mean.
So ok, hypothetical – could a couple of wraps at the sticky place on the corrugated hose keep the hat brim from getting hooked?

Simply:
The recommendation is Do Not Buy, or Use The Hose Hat. You've been given the Why for the recommendation.
You have been told why it is better not to use duct tape.

BUT; it is your diving and your life. I, for one, would never command you not to do something. If you want to play and practice; have at it.

PS: If you added a passion for Blue Tarps to the one you already have for Duct Tape you would fit right in here.:)

Back
Top Bottom