Runaway buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
It wasn't covered in mine, either. Keep reading -- You'll be AMAZED at the number of things you'll learn that weren't covered in your OW.
Do a search on Rock Bottom :)

Mine either, and I had the 8-week "Do it until you get it right" class.

There is an absolute ton of stuff that isn't covered.

Terry

Web Monkey:
Even if you're too narced to remember the quick-disconnect, the dump valve has way more capacity than the inflator, so as long as you keep dumping extra gas, everything should be OK.

FWIW, we've had this discussion here a few times, and it looks like unless you notice your buddy taking off and immediately do something about it, it's almost impossible to overtake and slow down a runaway diver, without really hurting yourself. (you would need to vastly exceed their ascent rate to overtake and stop them)

Terry
However, If you keep dumping and filling simultaniously, you will sooner or later run OOA unless you do something more.. Like disconnecting the hose or surfacing immediately..

Web Monkey:
Mine either, and I had the 8-week "Do it until you get it right" class.

There is an absolute ton of stuff that isn't covered.

Terry
Its the nature of all basic education, isnt it?
You dont learn to drive a racecar when getting your drivers license either..

I too am surprised not covered.
Some classes do cover it, several times, dry and wet, signs of, and options to remedy. I’ve only got one cert, done in a vacation dive location, getting close to two years ago, but it’s in the book that came with it under Dive 2 Skill Requirements also. I found it in the first place I looked for it to check it was there.

More surprising is that just holding down on a dump until figuring out air has gotta be getting in somewhere…didn’t seem to happen even during a lengthy stop.

I suggest any new folk that didn’t know to disconnect and or vent; go check with others in the class. If in agreement, make haste to the instructor and whoever is responsible for them to question the omission.

I bought a BC the evening after pool dive 1 and a particular feature seemed important to me, how many and could I find dumps blind. It was my first test item; now I don’t know where they are, can I find them easily? * chuckle* Perhaps I was just more receptive to that piece of info – you CAN have too much air.

I have added that skill to my checklist to practice, eyes open and closed. I guess that when your in class everything is coming to you so fast that you cannot pick it all up. I suppose the same is for the instructor teaching a group; you manage the time you have available. I am surprised at the number of people who have not been taught this though. I mentioned it to another buddy who was unaware of it either.

I love the pink... ok ... so just to be sure I understand... this little hat thing goes on the end of my connecter and it helps??? what? just gives me a better grip for getting of in a hurry? (sorry... too new and just don't know much!)... where else should I have one of these beauties for safety?? Thanks

Do hose hats introduce any new problems that need to be considered/mitigated?
p1010255sm.jpg

Uncle Pug:
Do hose hats introduce any new problems that need to be considered/mitigated?
There are some reports of divers in monterey being unable to proberly seat there hoses with the hat on.

Also note that there is a small cut out one one side, and it may need to be toward the coorugated bc hose in order to operate successfully. this may make it more diffcult to reconnect underwater. Get one or two and try them.

What would be the consequence of a hose inadvertently disconnecting (either partially or completely) from the inflator?

Are hoses with hose hats easy to reconnect or are they just easier to disconnect?

A runaway ascent due to a stuck inflator can be mitigated immediately by venting the BC/wing until the inflator hose can be disconnected.

What immediate mitigation is available for a runaway descent due to a disconnected inflator hose?

What is the incidence of stuck inflators? Is there a way to keep this from happening? Is there a better way to make disconnecting the hose from a stuck inflator easy and at the same time reduce or eliminate the possibility of an accidental disconnect?

What is the incidence of disconnected inflator hoses due to hose hats? Is there a way to keep this from happening?

Does the type of dive make a difference? (shore vs boat, wet vs dry, rec vs tech, ect.)

I have to admit, I'm a klutz at the best of times, so playing with hoses with gloves is no fun.
One of those hats could be nice on a Sherwood Shadow+ in-line secondary reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom