Rough Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

urmaddad

Contributor
Reaction score
The National Weather Service is calling for a Gale Warning today and tomorrow for the north coast with 40 knot winds. Conditions will not calm down until Monday. Be careful out there. Two abalone divers have already died this year.
urmaddad

In Monterey too:

...GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...

.TODAY...NW WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. COMBINED SEAS 11 TO 16 FT DOMINANT
PERIOD 10 SECONDS.

However, it's gonna get better:

.MEMORIAL DAY...W WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
NW SWELL 2 TO 4 FT AND S 2 FT.

But getting better after this spell will probably mean conditions are pretty low viz for Monday, wouldn't you think?

Mark and I am going to a wedding on Sunday in the mountains over Los Gatos and hoping we don't get blown away. :D

But getting better after this spell will probably mean conditions are pretty low viz for Monday, wouldn't you think?

Mark and I am going to a wedding on Sunday in the mountains over Los Gatos and hoping we don't get blown away. :D

At this point id not be concerned with blowing away so much as smoked out! That or burnt to a crispy scuba snack :wink:

Last weekend it was fairly calm and had been for a couple of days. We decided to dive Fort Ross. Departing the beach, I could not see the front of the scooter, so less than 2 foot vis. Once we got down to 45 feet it opened up a little, but it was not good enough to warrant a second dive. Thank goodness for bright flashlights, as it was dark down there. Right now the Salt Point website says 1-3 feet of vis and I could believe it.

Seems to me like it was a greenish color like maybe some type of fauna or plankton bloom, not so much a stirred up bottom last weekend.

I live here in Santa Cruz...and awoke to a lite smokey smell this am but by 10am it was gone and sunny...the smoke is blown out by the winds so it isnt bad...i fact yesterday I was only 10 miles from the fire and had no idea there was a fire till my hairdresser told me about it...when I left and drove to capitola I could then see the plumes of smoke on the hillsides..

Did anyone go out on the north coast today (Saturday)? I'm thinking of heading up to the Ft. Ross area on Sunday for some abalone diving -- would love to hear a conditions report.

I also am looking for conditions for Sonoma and Mendocino today. I am packing now and thinking on Fort Bragg kayaking/freediving Sunday and Sonoma Monday. I will check NCD. The end of this thread is not good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom