Drifters rescued - Bicheno, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I know, PLBs are & dive canisters are kinda pricey, but they last for five years are more, can be refurbished with battery servicing to last five more, and are also great for hiking, driving thru no-cell-service areas, etc. I never leave home without mine. Well, always leave a dive plan with friends who will call if you don't return when expected. And if you do get lost, keep the group together.

Two divers have been found unharmed after drifting 3.6 kilometres off Tasmania's east coast for several hours on Saturday.

The 24-year-old woman and 25-year-old man were diving at Alligator Rock, about 250 metres offshore from Bicheno, as part of a long-weekend event for local dive clubs, when they were swept off course.

Tasmania Police Inspector Colin Riley said the divers entered the water at about 10:15am but failed to return as planned at 11am.

The alarm was raised just before midday.

Inspector Riley said a mix of emergency services, police helicopters, Surf Live Saving Tasmania crews, and civilian vessels and divers searched the area for four hours.

The divers were eventually found by a local civilian vessel which was assisting with the search.

"The search coordinator established a drift pattern, and once that pattern was searched, the two divers were located two nautical miles, or 3.6 kilometres, offshore," Inspector Riley said.

"Both the divers were taken back; they were checked by paramedics and they're in good health and good spirit."

Inspector Riley said a coordinate response from search crews and a level-headed response from the lost divers was crucial.

"In this particular case, they stayed together, they kept their spirits up, and they just focused on remaining above water," he said.

"This is one of those [maritime accidents] where we've actually got a really positive outcome and everyone's very fortunate — not only marine service rescue personnel [and] all the civilians, but importantly those two divers.

"This could have been a lot different."

The Bureau of Meteorology issued a marine wind warning at 10am for gales in the upper east coast forecast district.

Local bakery owner Ian Cunliffe said winds in the area were "really strong".

"Horrendous, I'm not sure why they would be out there," he said.

"Forty-knot winds, so it's pretty rough out there.

"Get in closer [and] it might have been OK, but I know I wouldn't be going out."

40kt winds? That’s a little dicey for my tastes.

There’s a reason I won’t go in the water without an EPIRB, not to mention the rest of my safety/rescue kit.

I’ve seen that movie before… the older fat guy goes first. And I AM the older fat guy!

40kt winds? That’s a little dicey for my tastes.

There’s a reason I won’t go in the water without an EPIRB, not to mention the rest of my safety/rescue kit.

I’ve seen that movie before… the older fat guy goes first. And I AM the older fat guy!
The winds were blowing more or less offshore, and they were actually diving directly on the downwind side of a rock - the water was very calm where they entered.

The winds were blowing more or less offshore, and they were actually diving directly on the downwind side of a rock - the water was very calm where they entered.

That kind of thing is very common in this part of the world as it's so bloody windy. Bumpy boat rides though!

That kind of thing is very common in this part of the world as it's so bloody windy. Bumpy boat rides though!
You will have to come to Bicheno some time and experience some of the world's shortest dive boat rides - every dive site can be seen from the boat ramp - and the diving is excellent. The boat ride to Alligator rock is about 600 metres.

You will have to come to Bicheno some time and experience some of the world's shortest dive boat rides - every dive site can be seen from the boat ramp - and the diving is excellent. The boat ride to Alligator rock is about 600 m
Unfortunately, no dive operation there any more as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom