Rookie's Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For Thailand always take care of the food so you don't get diahroe (spelling????, that illness that brings you all 10 min to the toliet). Hep A, B can happen in thailand but as well in Europe or USA.
A few other disease, read a book, but usually Thailand is very safe (beside AIDS).
If you come from a country where you can trink water direct from the pipe, don't do it in Thailand or you stay all your holidays at the toilet.
Avoid open ice cream for tourists, and Mayonese (spelling????) which might be only made for tourists....
For high season: High seasion is always at that time when you ask the Hotel for the price. (complete empty but telling now more expensive because high season).

More questions! =)

1) Should I bother to look for the PADI five-star designation?
2) Which area is better? Kata beach or Patong beach? Or are they the same?
3) Where do English or French divers hang out at night? I would like to grab a beer and just chat up dive sites and the such. =)

Thanks!

Albert:
More questions! =)

3) Where do English or French divers hang out at night? I would like to grab a beer and just chat up dive sites and the such. =)

Thanks!

Just the facts as I see them.

1. No. The five star rating is just a marketing thing. The shops pay PADI extra to have that rating, that's all.

2. Kata/Karon is better than Patong. Patong is party till you drop land, not that you can't do that in Kata/Karon.

3. Just about anyplace. Besides, it's also a good opportunity to meet people from other cultures and figure out a way of communicating when the language doesn't match up. Personally, it's great fun to do that.

Oh, one other thing, buy a Thai Phrase book before you come and learn some pleasantries such as Hello, How are you today, Thank you, etc.

Enjoy your trip, I know I have for the past 3 months.

Albert:
More questions! =)

Thanks!
1) It's up to you. You should be able to get a small class, i.e. 1-4 students.
Also boat dives will be better than beach dives, so ask about that.

2) No, they are not the same, however you can take a tuk-tuk to the other for $5-$10.
Patong is "boys town", IMO, while Kata is a bit more laid back. Both are full of tourists.

3) You may find more dive chit chat on the boats than at bars. Also avoid getting drunk the night before diving - dehydration is a major cause of DCS (bad).

Quarrior:
Just the facts as I see them.

1. No. The five star rating is just a marketing thing. The shops pay PADI extra to have that rating, that's all.

Not entirely true, yes, you do pay PADI but more importantly a 5 Star center has to meet certain criteria over and above what is required for a normal Resort center.

in real life the quality of the education you get is down to the individual inst that you happen to get assigned.

just cos its a 5 star centre does not mean that they do not employ muppets and also if the inst happens to be a freelancer that you met in a bar the night b4 that works out of his bedroom that does not always mean that you will get a poor quality course

:D

Hyia All,

A quick update. I'm in Kata/Karon now. I found the White House Inn at 500 baht/night. And I'm doing PADI OW with that company that can be found on the south side of Karon beach (with another outpost at the south side of Kata beach). 11,900 bht with the PADI OW book. I start tomorrow. Wee!

Albert

ps: I love the tea drinks they sell at 7/11 for 20 bht. Mmm...

smartecosse:
in real life the quality of the education you get is down to the individual inst that you happen to get assigned.

just cos its a 5 star centre does not mean that they do not employ muppets and also if the inst happens to be a freelancer that you met in a bar the night b4 that works out of his bedroom that does not always mean that you will get a poor quality course

:D

:rofl3:

Hiya All,

I finished the PADI OW course with the Phuket Scuba Club (PSC; www.phuket-scuba-club.com) company. I have to say that they went above and beyond the call of duty during the course and feature alot of loyalty incentives for future business (e.g.: 10% equipment purchases and free equipment rental when you book outings with them and I don't know what else). They really do have a nice tight-knit group of workers who make everyone feel comfortable and welcomed.

Additionally, I deep-sixed White House Inn (WHI) for Kata Inn Guesthouse (KIG) as WHI has alot of problems. KIG is 800bht/night (no window but has A/C) but is very clean and has a very friendly manager.

Though more on scuba... I decided to do a live-aboard (4 days / 4 nights, I think... I', forgetful) to the Similian islands and Richlieu Rock via the M/V Mahe (booked through the PSC for 27,000 bht - equipment rental included + longtail boat dive). So I'm doing the PADI AOW course with the PSC (may as well train with the same instructor I had for the PADI OW). Everything is going spendidly (except my wallet hates me), and I'll update when I have something interesting to say.

btw: Did you know that Phuket has a cooking class? For 1,800bht you can get a one day course with the Phuket Thai Cookery School (PTCS; www.phuket-thaicookeryschool.comhttp://www.phuket-cookeryschool.com). There are other schools, but their programs don't seem to compare (at least on paper) with the PTCS. So this should be fun. I don't know if I will do it.... I have to think about it as it is expensive!

Albert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom