Looks like Krabi is closed for snorkeling and diving due to coral bleaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those

Those are all issues that should and could be addressed by the local dive operators controlling their divers. No need to issue blanket restrictions other than to appear to be doing "something."
Local dive charters do not make any efforts to control their divers" almost everywhere in the world, from what I've seen.

It just doesn't happen, and saying it "should" happen is like saying there should be winged horses that we can ride and fly on. Same difference.

Local dive charters do not make any efforts to control their divers" almost everywhere in the world, from what I've seen.

It just doesn't happen, and saying it "should" happen is like saying there should be winged horses that we can ride and fly on. Same difference.
Are you saying, then, that snorkeling and scuba diving should be banned at all coral reefs worldwide? And at my shop in Phuket, clients are reminded before and if necessary during a dive not to touch anything underwater.

You are wasting your effort to explain to someone whose only interest is himself/herself.
Only an idiot would believe operator should be given a free hand to deal with divers.
In an ideal world dive operators would correct poor behavior of their customers, but unfortunately they usually don't do a thing even if they are blatantly touching corals, molesting marine life and intentionally making contact with the bottom substrate.

In an ideal world dive operators would correct poor behavior of their customers, but unfortunately they usually don't do a thing even if they are blatantly touching corals, molesting marine life and intentionally making contact with the bottom substrate.
I had never came across any operator penalized the divers for any misbehaviour under water.
Many dm actually turn a blind eyes or say nothing because of TIPS!!!!
MONEY comes first.

The incident was NOT reported by the operator!!!
BTW, I had seen this kind of behaviour many times eg. mola mola, turtle and whaleshark.

I criticize Thai government ministers and bureaucrats who reflexively issue edicts to address all manner of issues without any actual knowledge or study of the matter in question. Usually this is done to grab local or international media headlines and to show something is being done...again usually ineffectively. Like limiting or banning watersports activities to address worldwide sea temperature rise.
Well 'Thai Logic' doesn't really narrow it down to mysterious 'ministers and bureaucrats', whoever they are?! Do you not think Thai Scientists might be involved or consulted in any decision making? Someone more qualified in their opinions then yourself.

The very fact you keep harping on about the uselessness of suspending diving in an area to address Global warming shows you are either being willfully stupid or you really don't have a clue what you're talking about. Finally, do you honestly think a quick word in the briefing is going to prevent damage by divers, apart from all the other issues related to stressed coral I listed above.

I had never came across any operator penalized the divers for any misbehaviour under water.
Many dm actually turn a blind eyes or say nothing because of TIPS!!!!
MONEY comes first.

The incident was NOT reported by the operator!!!
BTW, I had seen this kind of behaviour many times eg. mola mola, turtle and whaleshark.

It's in the wealthy Chinese culture.

No dive op can compete with that. No matter how many dogmatic rules you make. You're rules only hurt courteous divers. And now there's a shutdown.

Same exact pattern as hiking, state parks, motorcycling, etc.

It's in the wealthy Chinese culture.

No dive op can compete with that. No matter how many dogmatic rules you make. You're rules only hurt courteous divers. And now there's a shutdown.

Same exact pattern as hiking, state parks, motorcycling, etc.
I had a look at the video about a diver touching a whaleshark, the culprit looked like a ch$$ce. It is NOT the wealthy chinese culture, it is their general stupidity when step outside their home. Bunch of peasant. I had came across them everyday in HK.
You only need a few idiots to spoil the fun of the majority.

I had a look at the video about a diver touching a whaleshark, the culprit looked like a ch$$ce. It is NOT the wealthy chinese culture, it is their general stupidity when step outside their home. Bunch of peasant. I had came across them everyday in HK.
You only need a few idiots to spoil the fun of the majority.

Yeah, that's the other culture there. I have less experience with them.

Some say those idiots are why the others are so rude. But I'd expect them to be able to realize, that they are around different people when they're abroad.

Yeah, that's the other culture there. I have less experience with them.

Some say those idiots are why the others are so rude. But I'd expect them to be able to realize, that they are around different people when they're abroad.
They were brought up in a corrupted environment where money dictates everything !! Even more so than the capitalist world.
They are notorious of being rude when travelling aboard. There have been so many incidents on line involved them.
The idiots believe they are better than anyone! And they would complain the other do not speak chinese even in a foreign country!
I never speak Mandarin with them even when I want to insult them !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom