Looks like Krabi is closed for snorkeling and diving due to coral bleaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwong2132

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
FYI -- according to this article which was posted on May 22, the "Krabi Islands are closed as of 16th May 2024. Snorkeling and Scuba Diving to be Unavailable in some islands in Phi Phi National Park in Krabi. The national park has made this decision after a survey in the national park area, that showed there was evidence of an increase of severe coral bleaching around many islands."

I am booked on a liveaboard to go to the Similan Islands on Nov 2, 2024. I hope this closure does not extend to the Similan Islands.

Here is a YouTube video of the same.

Humans, in general, should just all go away for a few years. Remember how good covid was for air quality?

Because scuba divers and snorkelers increase seawater temperature...Thai logic in action 🤣🤣🤣

The Thai's have closed those reefs because they want to prevent further damage to corals that are more vulnerable due to bleaching damage from further damage caused by swarms of divers who make contact with the reef. Whether or not that is an effective strategy is another matter entirely.

"Destructive fishing practices, boat anchors, and coastal development can physically damage coral reefs, making them more vulnerable to bleaching." (Doesn't specifically address destruction of reefs from poor diving practices but it's inferred and there's no doubt that it happens all the time and boat skippers that haphazardly drop anchor on the reef aren't doing it any favors either).

Imagine having to rely on haphazard party going westerners disrespecting your country for your survival
Ten year moratorium on travellers with their govt taxing their would be spend and sending it all to E Asia

So their people can have a rest too

Imagine having to rely on haphazard party going westerners disrespecting your country for your survival
Ten year moratorium on travellers with their govt taxing their would be spend and sending it all to E Asia

So their people can have a rest too
Taxing their...what?

Blame Thais for whatever they do or don't do without having any understanding of the problem.......Falang logic in action 🤣🤣🥱
Get back to me after you've lived in Thailand for 25 years and I might take your views seriously 🙄

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom