Looks like Krabi is closed for snorkeling and diving due to coral bleaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue is coral bleaching caused by higher than normal sea water temperatures (not coral despoilation by careless or inadequately skilled divers); please explain @paddydiver how restricting snorkeling/scuba diving at a small patch of ocean has any affect on ocean wide sea water temps 🤔

Well it would be like a ways and means tax whereby anyone thinking of travelling to
and despoiling foreign countries, for Americans that would be other countries full of
foreigners, said traveller, having paid for the trip, would forfeit all, including planned
spending monies to go to the destination county a relief recovery from tourism fund

Because no one really needs to go travelling

and despoiling

Taxing their...what?

Get back to me after you've lived in Thailand for 25 years and I might take your views seriously 🙄
Lived there 15 years, Thai wife, Thai kids and worked in the dive industry. Qualified Marine Biologist and worked at sea for 25 years........To be honest whether you take me seriously or not doesn't really matter to me. I'm making the point that foreign Instructors in Thailand who can usually barely understand a tide table, weather report or read a sea chart, constantly criticise whatever Thais try to do in their own country. 25 years! Maybe time to head of and see if the 'logic' is better at home.

A bleached coral is not a dead coral. But, it's seriously stressed and is not feeding properly. Divers and snorkelers touching the coral, sunscreen leaching into the water, exhaled gas increasing co2 (acidity), oil leaking from boats bilge water and gasoline from outboards all cause local damage. So it doesn't take a scientific genius to realise that maybe closing off the area of stressed coral might help it recover.....
The issue is coral bleaching caused by higher than normal sea water temperatures (not coral despoilation by careless or inadequately skilled divers); please explain @paddydiver how restricting snorkeling/scuba diving at a small patch of ocean has any affect on ocean wide sea water te

The issue is coral bleaching caused by higher than normal sea water temperatures (not coral despoilation by careless or inadequately skilled divers); please explain @paddydiver how restricting snorkeling/scuba diving at a small patch of ocean has any affect on ocean wide sea water temps 🤔
LOL.
You are most concerned about the operator based in Kata Beach that you are ASSOCIATED with is losing business!!!

FYI -- according to this article which was posted on May 22, the "Krabi Islands are closed as of 16th May 2024. Snorkeling and Scuba Diving to be Unavailable in some islands in Phi Phi National Park in Krabi. The national park has made this decision after a survey in the national park area, that showed there was evidence of an increase of severe coral bleaching around many islands."

I am booked on a liveaboard to go to the Similan Islands on Nov 2, 2024. I hope this closure does not extend to the Similan Islands.

Here is a YouTube video of the same.
sad :(

Imagine having to rely on haphazard party going westerners disrespecting your country for your survival
Ten year moratorium on travellers with their govt taxing their would be spend and sending it all to E Asia

So their people can have a rest too
I’m sure that Australian aboriginal people feel the same way about you lot 😗

Most of the people from the far east, that I've dived with, dived like wrecking balls.

Loved their enthusiasm, but they left a trail everywhere. In the water or out.

So I'm sure Taiwan has some logical reasons. Not like there ain't a ton of less critical areas to dive.

Lived there 15 years, Thai wife, Thai kids and worked in the dive industry. Qualified Marine Biologist and worked at sea for 25 years........To be honest whether you take me seriously or not doesn't really matter to me. I'm making the point that foreign Instructors in Thailand who can usually barely understand a tide table, weather report or read a sea chart, constantly criticise whatever Thais try to do in their own country. 25 years! Maybe time to head of and see if the 'logic' is better at home.
I criticize Thai government ministers and bureaucrats who reflexively issue edicts to address all manner of issues without any actual knowledge or study of the matter in question. Usually this is done to grab local or international media headlines and to show something is being done...again usually ineffectively. Like limiting or banning watersports activities to address worldwide sea temperature rise.

Those
A bleached coral is not a dead coral. But, it's seriously stressed and is not feeding properly. Divers and snorkelers touching the coral, sunscreen leaching into the water, exhaled gas increasing co2 (acidity), oil leaking from boats bilge water and gasoline from outboards all cause local damage. So it doesn't take a scientific genius to realise that maybe closing off the area of stressed coral might help it recover.....
Those are all issues that should and could be addressed by the local dive operators controlling their divers. No need to issue blanket restrictions other than to appear to be doing "something."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom