Rookie's Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Albert

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya,

My friend told me about this forum. It seems rather knowledge about Thailand. I'm quite impressed. :14:

So I wanted to ask some rookie questions that I can't really seem to find the answers to via Google. I'm going to Phi Phi Island soon, and I wasn't what the deal is. So...

1) Are there ATMs on the island?
2) What is the weather going to be like during late-Nov to early-Dec?
3) Should I be concerned about mosquitoes or other disease vectors?
4) Are there alot of boats going there from Phuket on a daily basis? Or do I have to time this to a particular time of the day?

Thanks everyone! You all seem like nice people.

Albert

1) yes
2) good, maybe an occassional shower during the night/evening
3) yes, although these months are not bad regarding mosquitos. Normal precautions and you will be ok.
4) There are a couple of ferries going, I think early morning and early afternoon. I'm not sure about the times, but somebody else will be.

yup what he said

stevenl:
3) yes, although these months are not bad regarding mosquitos. Normal precautions and you will be ok.

Should I go crazy and get a mosquito net? Or would that stuff already be in hotel room (say one of $30USD/night)?

Okay, cool. Thanks!

Yupp - no need for nets - just make sure you bring bug spray with DEET :) I brought one with a higher percentage of DEET and didn't have a problem with getting bitten, others in my group were eaten alive!

The hotel provides bug stuff for the room. You will like the friendly Gekos.

Check out Phi Phi Don. If you stay in Tonsai Bay you can hire a longtail very cheaply. There is a good dive shop on Phi Phi Don about a 5 minute walk from the Holiday Inn if your facing the ocean with your back to the Holiday Inn resort make a left. It is better than the DS at the Holiday Inn. They tend to take small groups out so it might be more enjoyable than the bigger outfits on Tonsai. Staying at the Holiday Inn was well worth it in my opinion. I was there a year ago. The dive shop is called Leisure Dive Center. They can take you to Bida Ni. You can get a few good dives and while you take your surface interval swim over to where the Beach was filmed (Maya). If you can go the back way through a cave type entrance you will love it. Leisure Dive runs a great set of dives to that area making the Maya excursion possible. The weather and vis was great last December around New Years!

Babukins:
Yupp - no need for nets - just make sure you bring bug spray with DEET :) I brought one with a higher percentage of DEET and didn't have a problem with getting bitten, others in my group were eaten alive!

when you get to Thailand buy some "sketolene" the one in the green bottle its a natural repellant and really works, made in thailand for thai sketos.

Back
Top Bottom