Rookie's Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it adviseable to book a hotel in advance? Or could I just show up and find a hotel, a OW dive school, and fun? I plan to not plan.... :D

best way IMO if you can be bothered, If money isnt an issue book in advance

Oh? You are implying that it is cheaper if I just show up? Oh wait... are you saying the opposite (it is expensive to show up and plan on the spot)?

Albert,

In general it's cheaper if you book online, since you can get early booking bonusses etc.
However, in most places in Thailand there'll be enough shops around to shop around and thus getting a feel for each shop, so you can choose the one you like.

Hotels shouldn't be a problem neither, as long as you don't go to a place in high season.

starting to get into it. late dec you really should book in advance unless you like pay over the top for crap quality rooms :(

yes november / december is high season here and after talking with hotel managers I can tell you that their occupancy rates are already 95% + all the way into January. Have also been asked for bungalow accomodation by no fewer than 3 people this week and unfortunatly all the good / local ones are taken

Good Luck

Could you suggest some places for $25/night? Would I get a deal if I were to stay longer at a place?

pretty much all the decent accom at that level will be fully booked already. if you are lucky you may get something that is not a flea pit for that price but the accommodation on Phi Phi is WAY over priced for what it is. However there are that many farangs going through willing to pay stupid prices for awfull rooms that they owners etc don't care - there is always someone willing to pay.

as far as negotiating a discount in high season - good luck on that one !

Albert:
Could you suggest some places for $25/night? Would I get a deal if I were to stay longer at a place?
If you want to play it smart, you'll come to Phuket and just take a day trip to Phi-Phi or maybe do an over night with one of dive shops/boats.

The hotel I'm staying in now is 27.50 + tax per night until 14 Dec. That is using an exchange rate of 36 baht per USD. www.katahappyhouse.com

when I was on Phi-Phi overnight on a dive trip, I was thoroughly underwhelmed, I can't see spending an entire vacation there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom