Roll Call for all Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.valleyscuba-sports.com/

This is the link to the LDS, in my area, that will be making the Florida trip in Feb. that I mentioned in a previous post. The site is new so roll with it. Mark is the shop owners name and the contact person about details. Nothing has been posted on the site yet regarding the Feb. trip. But I know he is trying to contact some charters to get prices and other details today and tomorrow. I also know he is hoping to charter a whole boat in the West Palm area for some drift diving. I have been to the area and been out on some good drift dives there. It should be a lot of fun.

A typical trip for us in Feb. goes something like this. We usually have several students that need check out dives and we usually get these done in Ginnie Springs, Blue Grotto, Manatee Springs and other more northern Florida area places. In the past we have also done Crystal River manatees, and Rainbow River drift dives. Naturally if you would like to go to one of these places you can but if you would rather just meet us for the southern diving that is also an option.

Anyway, once the students are finished we usually go further south and do some type of ocean dives. Last year we were with Jim Abernathy's in WP and it was great. We even discussed doing the Oriskiny this trip.

This is all done over a long weekend. In the past we have chartered buses but they proven to be way too uncomfortable for the long hours needed to drive down and back. In recent years we have just found our own ways down and met somewhere for the diving. I prefer this myself as it is much more comfortable.

Anyway, if you have any interest at all call Mark and chat with him about prices. The prices will be dependent on the number of divers as we generally get pretty good group rates and just split it all up. So the more people that want to go the cheaper the trip. I think he is planning this years trip around the weekend of the 17th and 18th.

Remember, the planning is in its infancy and if you have ideas or suggestions let them be known now. If there is enough interest overall anything may be possible.

WVDiver:
That's great Pir8. I will be in touch closer to spring and we can plan something for us and JimLap and then anyone who would like to make the trip would be more than welcome.
Anyone else up for a ScubaBoard day at Dutch Springs this Summer.

Doc Intrepid:
Seasonal temps off Morehead City are generally in the 70s with vis in excess of 100' on a really good day. Seasonal temps off Virginia Beach are generally in the high 50s to mid 60s at the surface with vis in excess of 40'. I'm sure it gets better than that on a really good day, but I've never seen it any better and often worse. Virginia Beach is colder and darker, and without all the nurse sharks, rays, turtles, large pelagics, and other features that the NC wrecks offer.

I'll be looking forward to diving with any area divers next year, but suggest that we may have better dives if we try to get a charter together out of Beaufort or Morehead City.

Just MHO...YMMV! :)
Yes, I figured most of that out due to your earlier post, which by the way was just the kind of post I was looking for, lots of good information there. I am always up for diving and have done the cold, blurry, current type dives many times. I would not be opposed to meeting some of you in the VA Beach area and bringing my drysuit. Having said that, I would also be glad to go further south to some warmer water. In short, if I have the time and money I am up for nearly anything. I really enjoy wreck dives but I will do reefs, muck, quarry or whatever.

For now it looks as though my "spend" money is going toward the Feb. Fl. trip. Hope some of you guys can make that.

pir8:
Anyone else up for a ScubaBoard day at Dutch Springs this Summer.
Pir8, Save me pulling the map, do you know how long a drive it would be to say Morgantown from Dutch Springs?

Doc Intrepid:
WVD -

Here is their website. Use the address on something like Yahoo MapQuest and you can even get directions with your drive time!

www.dutchsprings.com
Wow, I thought it was alot closer to Pittsburgh. Nearly 8 hours from me. Oh well, I would still like to dive it sometime.

We are there- my only fear on Mt Storm is that it will live up to its name......

JayJudge:
We are there- my only fear on Mt Storm is that it will live up to its name......
This is a good possiblilty, there is nearly always a constant sustained wind there in the winter and the wind chills can be very, very cold. So even when the water temps are "good" it can still be drysuit suit diving for some. I have not been going there alot lately but I know the power plant does not run at the capacity that it used to so water temps may be unpredictable at best for any given day. Perhaps some of the folks here that frequent the lake more than I will shed some light on the temp. expectations for us.

I'm in west central Jersey and haven't been south of the Atlantic City Reef. I'm hoping to find some info on wreck diving south of AC but still within day trip range and anything up to 130 is fair game.

That said, I plan to once again get a season pass for Dutch and would like to put it to better use than I historically have.

great to see al this interest!

WVDiver - I am in shepherdstown and even teach p/t at the university. Only place I have been around here is Millbrook which is just a regular ol' quarry - there is also a small lake at the state part outside hagerstown which allows diving - I might be interested in that Fla trip - need to talk to the wife and see whether it looks good - spent my last birthday (2-16) snorkeling in Coz so being wet on my birthday sounds like a good plan :)

I sometimes have to go to Charleston for business, so a Summersville dive might work in :)

my time is hugely limited most of the time because of 3 kids, FT job, PT job

I have been researching local salt water diving and there are some charters out of Indian Rive Inlet DE and of course Ocean City. There are actually quite a few wrecks and such out there. Not as nice as morehead city, etc but closer. The IR charter is a sixpack and not sure about the OC ones. I am also interested in Cooper River to find giant teeth, etc. Which is doable in a weekend. My LDS uasually goes there as well, I do not have their 07 schedule yet

I can get access to free lodging for a number of people on the delaware shore if we decide we want to put together an OC or IR dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom