Roll Call for all Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid:
I'm in the DC area. This last season offered major suckage in terms of my diving schedule, however, I'm committed to trying to improve that in 2007. I could do far more diving if I quit my job, but trimix is expensive... It's always something...

Rallys set up on the board are generally the best way to get a group from around here together. I try to make all the Rawlings Rallys if I'm in the country...

Doc
Doc,

Thanks for posting and glad to see you are "close" to me. I have wanted to dive with you for a long time. Hope we can make some plans for the spring. I would love it if you would join us for the Feb. trip I spoke of in the opening thread.

I had the pleasure of diving with some of the folks in the PNW, at Edmonds, Double Dip, was my dive buddy but TSandM, Peterguy, Penelopepants and others were there and I had lunch with them too, Even had dinner with TSandM and Peterguy. We had a great time and I can't wait to go back. I love to see all the species there that I don't get to see here in the east.

Actually I would like it if everyone that has posted here would join us in Feb.
When I get details I will post them here. That may be later today.

Hey. I live right outside of DC in Bethesda. I haven't done much diving in the midatlantic but I have been on around 8 quarry dives. I am really interested in trying to do some dives out of ocean city, virginia, and north carolina but i think i have waited to long. I will be gone most of this summer and then I am off to college hopefully in miami, so i think i'll miss most of the upcoming dive season. If people want to dive during the winter I am up for it though.

JimLap:
I'm from SW Pa and it's the same here. Hard to find people to commit to anything. Would love to meet some people to dive in the area.

Hey Jim,

I have been wanting to do some dives in the quarrys in PA for a while, especially Dutch Springs. Why Dutch Springs? I would like to see it because the Rouse's dove it and it is close enough to home for me to make the visit.

Have you been there and would you like to join me there this spring?

WhitmanDive:
Hey. I live right outside of DC in Bethesda. I haven't done much diving in the midatlantic but I have been on around 8 quarry dives. I am really interested in trying to do some dives out of ocean city, virginia, and north carolina but i think i have waited to long. I will be gone most of this summer and then I am off to college hopefully in miami, so i think i'll miss most of the upcoming dive season. If people want to dive during the winter I am up for it though.
It must be awful thinking about being a diver and having to go to college in Miami.:D That is a good problem to have. Wish it was me. I think you will find plenty of dive opportunity in the Miami area. Good luck and study hard.

JayJudge:
Hi all!!
Eastern WV here (panhandle) Always willing and usually able to go diving. In fact, as for a get together, I got a new dry suit, gonna play at Willow I think on the 17th, they said it is possible by appointment, anyone else interested? So far, 2 of us for sure, and maybe a 3rd, she might not be able to....And even if not that, alwys looking for buddies.
-Jay

As you probably know WVJohn is in your area. You guys may want to get together and come to Summersville Lake with me. Where are the local spots in the eastern panhandle and can you describe some of them? My son goes to Shepherd University and I would love to come up and get some dives in with you guys and him. I am sure he would love to know about all the local spots so he can get some diving in while he is around the area.

Hi all Robert here & I live in Va. Beach, dive in Va. Beach, but I like N.C. also as my wife & normal buddy does not like diving here in Va. Beach, but loves N.C. diving. We went to Utila, The Texas Flower Gardens & a couple trips to MHC last year.
I try to list any dives I have planned off of Va. Beach to try & find a buddy pre trip. I also try to post a trip report after the dive to arrouse interest in diving here.
We have 2 local shops in Va.Beach, Lynnhavenhttp://www.ldcscuba.com/ & Dive Quarters http://www.divequarters.com/. I actually use Dive Quarters most often, but I have dove with Lynnhaven quite a bit & have no reservations going out with them.
I am not a big fan of quarry diving, but know they have their place & will hit 1 every once in a while.
So if anyone wants to do a Va. Beach dive I am always game. I am AOW,Rescue & Nitrox cert with 100 dives with most of them in open ocean so no problems worrying about a inexperienced newbie buddy. I am hopeing to get Adv. Nitrox & DECO done this winter & am just getting into doubles with BP/W tendencies.

RAD Diver:
Hi all Robert here & I live in Va. Beach, dive in Va. Beach, but I like N.C. also as my wife & normal buddy does not like diving here in Va. Beach, but loves N.C. diving. We went to Utila, The Texas Flower Gardens & a couple trips to MHC last year.
I try to list any dives I have planned off of Va. Beach to try & find a buddy pre trip. I also try to post a trip report after the dive to arrouse interest in diving here.
We have 2 local shops in Va.Beach, Lynnhavenhttp://www.ldcscuba.com/ & Dive Quarters http://www.divequarters.com/. I actually use Dive Quarters most often, but I have dove with Lynnhaven quite a bit & have no reservations going out with them.
I am not a big fan of quarry diving, but know they have their place & will hit 1 every once in a while.
So if anyone wants to do a Va. Beach dive I am always game. I am AOW,Rescue & Nitrox cert with 100 dives with most of them in open ocean so no problems worrying about a inexperienced newbie buddy. I am hopeing to get Adv. Nitrox & DECO done this winter & am just getting into doubles with BP/W tendencies.

Rad Diver,

I'm in the DC area, but i might try to get down there to VA beach spring or summer. How's the diving there? i'm a fairly new diver, and plan on going down to NC/Hatteras next yr. is it worth it to make a pit stop at va beach?

btw, flower gardens was cool, wasn't it? i did the 3 day trip in september on the spree. saw my first shark down there during the oil rig dive.

ed

http://www.aqua.org/volunteer_certifieddivers.html

Certified Divers

Volunteer divers prepare and feed fish, rays, and small sharks in the Atlantic Coral Reef and Wings in the Water exhibits. While working, they give presentations to the public about the animals for which they care.

They also clean and assist with the maintenance of the two exhibits and the dolphin pool.

Requirements
Approximately 18 to 20 divers are selected each winter. Applicants must be:

* at least 18 years of age and out of high school
* SCUBA-certified
* and in good health.

Training and Commitment
After successful completion of training sessions and a written test, divers are assigned to a team and commit to working one full day every other week.

Equipment
Divers provide their own wetsuits and masks, and they may use any of their own equipment; however, the Aquarium will supply:

* tanks
* regulators
* fins
* weight belts
* and the Aquarium uniform.

Apply Now
Fill out our online application to receive volunteer information and training announcements.

Questions? E-mail or call the volunteer office at 410-576-3886. We look forward to hearing from you.

Fishballer:
The diving in Va.Beach can be quite challenging, but not too bad. The only problem is you never know til you get out there. We have lots of wrecks & vis typically runs 10-20 feet, but I have seen 40+. Depths run from 60ft inshore to slightly more than 100ft off shore. I prefer the deeper as we get better vis out there. We get quite a bit of sealife such as Flounder, Taotog, & SeaBass, but I saw a Sunfish & large Turtle on my last dive out there .
N.C. diving is very nice & where as I have not done Hatteras(although I have talked to those who have & love it) I have dove the Morehead City, Atlantis Beach area & LOVE it.
The Flower Gardens was a fantastic 3 days, we were there in August on the Fling. We saw a couple of sharks & 1 was on the oil rig, but they were very shy. The rig did have a huge Turtle that loved to have its picture taken. We also got to see a Manta for the 1st time. I would have to say that the trip was as good as Utila for a fraction of the price.
If you want a great Shark adventure then N.C. is the place to be. Getting with in 2 feet of a 8-10ft Sandtiger is a humbling experience.
On your Flower Garden trip did you happen to have a DM named Robert, kind of a big guy? He is a good friend of ours.
So when you are ready to dive let me know & we can hit our coast & maybe run to Hatteras for a day or 2.

WVDiver:
Hey Jim,

I have been wanting to do some dives in the quarrys in PA for a while, especially Dutch Springs. Why Dutch Springs? I would like to see it because the Rouse's dove it and it is close enough to home for me to make the visit.

Have you been there and would you like to join me there this spring?

I have not been to dutch but want to go there and willow. Just got the ok from my beautiful missus that ! can go to Storm on the 1st:D . I'll probably not get there till about noon or so but that's enough for a couple or 3 dives. I actually started the tradition for our shop there last year. We dove the 1st and the 2nd. Pm me with your number if you wanna talk about it and firm up plans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom