Rocket fins or jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I been suffering a bit lately from "fin envy", especially after having heard all the raves about "split fin" technology.

I own a pair of SP Jet Fins, circa 1976, which are still quite serviceable, although I'm hesitant to take them offshore.

I usually dive with Wenoka Relfex Fins, which have no venting, but do have a large stiff service area that I find works well in hard currents (most of my diving, of late), but this same stiffness makes me winded if I have to keep it up very long. Unfortunately, although these fins fins are pretty 'fast' and "strong", they don't seem efficient, certainly not as efficient as my old Jets. (I've removed the battens, but I think they work better with them in...)

I was considering moving to Tusa split fins, a because they didn't look as"floppy" as the Apollo's or Twins (hard inserts), but now I wondering how well they work in a current and how well they would work when I go "heads down" and scull in a circle over a coral head when I'm doing macro photos.

Any good fin advice out there for me? My Wenoka's are too tiring on very long swims and the jets are just too old for me to trust, so I'm looking for something a bit lighter and more efficient than what I have (although I'm still, ahem, in shape...I am getting older and my, er, "Coefficient of drag" is a little bigger than it used to be...... Shut up. I am not getting fat. DO NOT listen to my wife!)

I head a couple of pans regarding the Volo paddles, which was one of the fins I was considering.....

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Rockhound
I own a pair of SP Jet Fins, circa 1976, which are still quite serviceable, although I'm hesitant to take them offshore.

the jets are just too old for me to trust,

Any suggestions?
Yes... put some new straps on the Jets (preferably springs) and use them...

They are far more reliable at their age and condition than you are at yours.

Do not think me vain, but I would love to have yellow jetfins. I have only seen 2 pair (both on instructors) but I think they would be very visible for students to follow (I am an AI) If they ever came in other colors, I would consider those. I love my jet fins & don't want to change otherwise. I heard that the yellow were only made for a short period, but I am hoping that some wise, in-the-know person could direct me to a SP warehouse or some other place where marvelous seconds show up.:)

Does anyone want to argue with Pug about brands of paint? Krylon IS DIR, ya know!

.....Jets came in black, blue, yellow and pink. Before & after that brief moment they've only been available in black.

I paint mine so they don't go in the wrong gear bag by mistake. I have to repaint them from time to time as no paint I've ever tried lasts long.

I painted a yellow "racing" stripe down one side of each my fins in 1976 and the stripes are still there (except on the fin tips when are worn down to a point from river diving). I used the standard "gear marking" rubber paint.

OK, after several threads debating this (& Jetfins always getting the better critique), I just got a pair of Rocket fins to compare with my Jets. (Got them on a used table for $20, so I figured I may as well.) I still like the feel of my Jetfins best, but I thought the Rocket fins were much harder to kick (& I kick lots of laps). Perhaps they are stiffer. I will keep practicing with them, so if it is just a matter of leg strength, I will move past that. Clearly, they are not made of as thick or good rubber, but it is fun to have both for comparison purposes. And it's always good tohave backup fins!

had a dive shop in Panama City talk to me about my old Jets and compared them to USD Rockets.

The differed on two counts:

1) Overlap in the vents-the USD Rockets did not have the same venting as the Jets, mainly due to the old patent that Scubapro held (now expired). The Rocket vents were essentially "open" which did not re-direct the flow of water as efficiently as the Rockets.

2) Rubber compound. The shop owner showed me a pair of rockets which were fairly stiff compared to the Jets. But, the bigger difference was in the "memory" of the compound used for the Jet fins. It had more "spring" and "snap" than the Rockets and it return to it's original shape almost immediately after being distorted. When bent to an angle of 30 degrees or so, you could see the Rockets did not immediately return to their static shape, but took a few seconds to do so. It was fairly dramatic. This delay would result in less efficiency due to the distortion and would lack the "snap" or "whip" of the Jets, which would likely impart some additional energy that otherwise would be lost.

Anyway, I too, have dived both fins. I like the Jets a bit more, but the Rockets were not bad. They just didn't work as well as my old Jets, which are about 25 years old and still serviceable (a testimony to their construction.) I'm now looking for some spring straps before taking them out again, but I still like them a lot.

Super hi-tech computerized moon-rock fins are interesting to look at, but there are some things that just ARE so good they don't need to be improved upon. In that category are Buster Keaton comedies & Jetfins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom