Rocket fins or jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cramping:

I get the cramping probably more often than others, I think, because I have severely fallen arches. I don't get leg cramping in my calves or thighs.

Finning technique:

Would you mind explaining or directing me to a site that explains what you refer to as proper finning technique for Jet Fins?

Old Jet Fins:

When you refer to "old jet fins", are you including the current Lightning Jet Fins which are 15% lighter than the original Jetfins which were all rubber?

Quattros:

I have a pair of Mares quattros which I never liked. How would you compare them to Jet Fins? Would the Jets be much of an improvement over the Quattros?

I'm asking for your advice because maybe I'll see if I can exchange the TwinJets I just bought for the Lightning Jets.

Hi Mitch,
I was not aware that the new Jets (the old ones had a lightening bolt on them too) were of a different composition... I do know that you can find them on ebay and in pawn shops for $35 sometimes.

As for the cramping... I was serious about my suggestions.. especially hydration... you are probably using the flutter kick (or maybe even riding the bicycle) and that is putting stress on your feet and calf muscles...

Proper finning technique (we are not racing here) that would possibly alleviate cramping and give you a better SAC while also giving your more control is the frog kick...
Visit the Fifth D website and check out the videos of the various skills... especially the frog:
http://www.fifthd.com/divestore/classes/classindex.html

I have never used the Quattros but if you were using them with a flutter kick you would most likely still have the same cramping problem.

The frog kick will use different thigh muscles than the flutter and should not put stress on your ankles/feet... but I doubt it will work well with a split fin design.

Well, for some reason, I cant seem to get the video to work on the Fifth d site.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Mitch

Although I was unable to get the video to work on my computer in my office, I was able to get the video to work on my home computer. I didn't have time to watch them all but I did look at the finning techniques.

I can see where these techniques would eleviate any cramping as it appears that the diver's legs are bent at the knee at a 90% angle as opposed to straight legged kicking from the hip (which is what they teach in Diving 101 if I remember correctly). The backward kick is also quite impressive.

Where you saying that using this bent knee technique, a diver could go as fast or faster with Jet fins than a diver kicking straight legged with splits? It is just that it would seem to me that by bending one's legs at the knees at a 90% angle would tend to make one less streamlined.

Originally posted by Mitch421
Where you saying that using this bent knee technique, a diver could go as fast or faster with Jet fins than a diver kicking straight legged with splits? It is just that it would seem to me that by bending one's legs at the knees at a 90% angle would tend to make one less streamlined.
It does take practice to get the frog kick down and someone who is just starting to use it is not going to be as fast... but then speed isn't the goal IMO... if I want speed I'll use the scooter. That said... I can barely keep up scissor kicking alongside a good frog kicker... and I will use a bunch of gas to do it. The frog kick can move you right along. But that is not the main reasons for frog kicking...

The frog kick is efficient... and it won't blow the bottom out. Watch the video again and notice how it is kick~n~glide not kickkickkickkickkick.... and notice how at the end of the kick the legs are not at a 90... they are back... and as the diver brings them up and forward for the next kick notice that the fins are on edge to the direction of travel and present minimal resistance....

If you were to look at a typical scissor or flutter kick you would see that during major portions of the kick cycle the blade is flat against the flow and acting like a brake... that is why you need to keep kicking .... ever see a scissor kicker gliding the way Nick is in the video?

Thanks Pug,

I reviewed the modified frog kick and modified flutter kick from the videos.
I will try these out hopefully tonite at local Y after I finish my laps.

Thanks for your advice.

Mitch421

Ok Guys put your handbags down,i have found that the for Eg Scubapro twin jet fins are fine if you have no current or Surfacce swimming to do, but if you have to Swim or try and turn in to a current they are useless as they are to soft and floppy, so the best deal is to carry 2 sets of fins for the conditions I use Mares quatros if you have to Surface swim and Twin jets if the there is no current .

Regards
Kevin

Originally posted by Cheaper
so the best deal is to carry 2 sets of fins for the conditions I use Mares quatros if you have to Surface swim and Twin jets if the there is no current .
So then, Kevin....
Do you carry the Twin Jets in your handbag until you've completed your surface swim and then switch???

Now that is the most riduculous thing is have ever heard, where the hell am i suppsed to Clip the handbag on to besides all my credit cards would get wet....

Twin jets are floppy i have them for about a year and you have to change your whole fin action to a fast and short action,

Regards
Kevin:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom