Rocket fins or jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any difference between the Aqualung Rocket fins and the ScubaPro Jet fins?

Originally posted by JT2
I was wondering if there is any difference between the Aqualung Rocket fins and the ScubaPro Jet fins?
Yes...
Get the SP Jets (or IDI Turtles if you need a big foot pocket)
Do a ScubaBoard search on Jet fins.... same question in another thread.

The vent split on the Jet fin is different from the split on the Rocket fin. The rubber on the Jet Fin overlaps whereas on the Rocket Fin it doesn't. this evidently make all the difference. I believe this was a patent on the Jet fin way back and that is why the Rocket fin didn't have it. I could be mistaken. Anyway, 25 or so years ago, I bought the Rockets because they were cheaper. Big mistake as they could no way keep up with the Jets my buddies used. And the one size fits all was too tight and I would get foot cramps.

I have since owned the scubapro octogonal gorilla type fins which were slow and I think just for looks. The fins I've used for about 5 years are the Mares Quattros. Very powerful fin but you better have strong legs. After only five or six strong kicks, my feet start cramping.

Last weekend, I was about to purchase a set of Jets when I started thinking about the cramping and decided on the TwinJets. Cramping going out of control can drown you. What good is it to have a DIR macho jet fin if your feet cramp up when you try to kick hard. I have yet to use the twinjets but I did try other splits and they were superior to paddle fins. I got the ScubaPro because they looked well made and they will take a spring steel strap.

Originally posted by Mitch421
Last weekend, I was about to purchase a set of Jets when I started thinking about the cramping and decided on the TwinJets. Cramping going out of control can drown you. What good is it to have a DIR macho jet fin if your feet cramp up when you try to kick hard.
Mitch, cramping can be (and should be IMO) solved with proper finning technique...

DIR is not about being macho... in fact quite the opposite is true... it is about doing things the right way not the macho way.

Macho goes for looks... DIR goes for functionality.
Macho goes for style... DIR goes for performance.
Macho imitates what's cool... DIR practices what works.
Macho is wannabe... DIR is.

My comment is based on the DIR preference for using a paddlefin which requires the legs of a strong diver. That is what I meant by macho.

It has by now been shown numerous times that the split fin design is more efficient that the older technoloy paddle fin. Why does DIR insist on a fin that makes us waste more air?

How does this fit your decription that DIR = performance.

Furthermore, I am not new to diving. I swim and bike ride regularly. I have tried every finning technique there is and I get cramps in my feet no matter what. I tried split fins and, guess what, no cramping.

I agree the old Jet fin was a good fin, but the current lightning Jet Fin is not all rubber and is lighter than the original. The black twin jet is negatively bouyant, however, so shouldn't be much different.

As for blindly accepting all DIR recommendations, I believe that DIR has contributed greatly to the sport. I have accepted many of their suggestions. I have tried the long hose, pressure guage to left d-ring and have gone back to long hose bungied to right tank and pressure hose routed along power inflator hose (bolt snap too hard to manipulate with gloves on). I also use Poseidon Odin regs as they breathe better than anything else out there and I can hand them off to either side. I prefer a high volume mask. Everything else I have is DIR (lp104s, UK remora, steel bp, halcyon wing). Oh, and I do use a pony if I dive single tank or without a buddy.

DIR may be perfect for warm water caves, but here in cold water NJ wreck diving, I prefer my setup.

Mitch:

You were the one who first brought up the subject of DIR in this thread, not UP. I guess you were just trolling for an arguement eh? I know at least 10 rec divers who use jet fins and are non-DIR. You baselessly, and ignorantly, started attacking DIR because UP, a known DIR advocate, suggested jet fins.

- JT

Somebody asked about the difference between Jet Fins and Twin Jets. I was just giving my opinion. I'm not trying to start a troll.

I wasn't attacking anyone just because they are DIR advocates. Maybe you know that somebody is a DIR advocate. That doesn't mean I knew it. I'm new to this board. I was merely questioning (not attacking) some of the DIR philosophy. If you don't like it, too bad.

Jet fins just don't work for me. If you like them, fine. I don't see why you have to call me ignorant just because I don't buy into your philosophy completely. My opinions are based on my personal experience with several types of fins.

If you're so smart, why don't you explain why you think I'm wrong and quit with the insults.

I was merely questioning (not attacking) some of the DIR philosophy. If you don't like it, too bad.
This thread had nothing to do with DIR until you mentioned it by suggesting wearing jet fins is a DIR macho thing to do. Why bring DIR into this thread in the first place, there was no place for it in this thread.

- JT

Actually the question was about Rocket or Jet fins. The question wasn't about Twin Jet Fins.

And this statement you made.....

"It has by now been shown numerous times that the split fin design is more efficient that the older technoloy paddle fin. Why does DIR insist on a fin that makes us waste more air? "

Is fine on paper... But if you check people that dive every day in currents, like DM's, you don't see them wearing them. Because of exactly what everybody say's, they don't do well in currents. If you get caught in a current you could be in trouble. That fast flutter kick gets old on them to. I've used them and Volo's and although you're right about no cramps they can also wear you out quick because of the fast flutter instead of a long sweeping kick. And yes, I've owned and used them. Not just borrowed them for a couple dives.

They are nice for certain uses but they ain't the cat's meow like all the magazines keep saying....... For no current diving they are nice. In an ocean I ain't gonna use em......

If you're so smart, why don't you explain why you think I'm wrong and quit with the insults.
OK... I don't know that I'm so smart but I'll give it a go on a couple of items...

a paddlefin which requires the legs of a strong diver. That is what I meant by macho.
Not if you are finning correctly with them.

It has by now been shown numerous times that the split fin design is more efficient that the older technoloy paddle fin.
Not when tested by divers who know how to optimally use the Jet fins. Have you ever seen any tests done by genuine DIR divers?

Why does DIR insist on a fin that makes us waste more air?
Well DIR doesn't insist that you use any fin or waste any air...
(DIR doesn't really care what you do... do your own thing.)
But a DIR diver using Jets will use far less gas than you will use air...

How does this fit your decription that DIR = performance.
Correct fin + correct technique = efficiency and performance... and if there were a better fin then DIR would adopt it in a heart beat... fact is... the old Jet is just about the best there is.

As for your cramps... perhaps you need to hydrate more, or perhaps you need to improve your diet, or perhaps you even need to see a doctor if you get cramps that easily.

As for diving cold water and wearing heavy gloves... we run a consistent 47F top to bottom / summer to winter... what is cold there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom