Rock boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine are three years old and I have no problems with them. I did replace the laces with work boot laces a couple of months ago. Other than that they're in great condition.

Define good? For that matter, define "rock boots"?

I've used a number of kinds of footgear over dry suit socks. I like the Whites Evo boots, but they don't fit narrow women's feet.

On the other hand, if you lace boots up too tightly, they compress the insulation on your feet and your feet get cold. If you don't lace them up tightly enough, you can kick them (and the fins attached to them) off during a dive. I did that 1000 feet back in a cave; I will never use a separate boot again.

Define good---are they easy to get on and off in the cold(ice diving) and on boat dives?
Define rock boots---dui's rock boots.
I'm looking for a new dry suit---it's down to a dui with rock boot or a viking with attached boots.
Any feedback would be helpful?

Define good---are they easy to get on and off in the cold(ice diving) and on boat dives?
Define rock boots---dui's rock boots.
I'm looking for a new dry suit---it's down to a dui with rock boot or a viking with attached boots.
Any feedback would be helpful?

DUI RockBoots. I like 'em.

On both shore dives and boat dives, I appreciate their flexible, yet adequate ankle support.

For warmer water, one size bigger than my shoe size, if laced loosely, will provide enough room for one thick pair of Merino socks and plenty of air for good loft and warmth.

You'll learn how tight or loose to lace them to avoid having one slip off. Slippage can be sensed during a dive, then cinched up, if need be, if you've got adequate dexterity.

For water temps below 45F, I'll go with a different pair of RockBoots that are two sizes oversize. Then I can put two pairs of Merino socks inside without being too tight. Again, loosely laced, but more care needs to be taken to avoid TOO loose.... :wink:

Ice diving: frozen laces can be thawed out. No problem there.

Walking around suited up: feels like having sneakers on. Pretty comfy.... :D

Dave C

My problem with the DUI Rockboots is that they are too narrow for my 10.5EEE feet. If I can find wide boots, that would be ideal. I do mostly shore diving where I have to walk over rocks to get into the water. Rock Boots are great for this type of entry.

DUI RockBoots. I like 'em.

On both shore dives and boat dives, I appreciate their flexible, yet adequate ankle support.

For warmer water, one size bigger than my shoe size, if laced loosely, will provide enough room for one thick pair of Merino socks and plenty of air for good loft and warmth.

You'll learn how tight or loose to lace them to avoid having one slip off. Slippage can be sensed during a dive, then cinched up, if need be, if you've got adequate dexterity.

For water temps below 45F, I'll go with a different pair of RockBoots that are two sizes oversize. Then I can put two pairs of Merino socks inside without being too tight. Again, loosely laced, but more care needs to be taken to avoid TOO loose.... :wink:

Ice diving: frozen laces can be thawed out. No problem there.

Walking around suited up: feels like having sneakers on. Pretty comfy.... :D

Dave C

+ 1
I have the largest pair of rock boots available. My foot is size 12 and I think the largest rock boots are size 13. I wish they made them bigger especially for ice diving. I have also used Chuck Taylor All-Star high tops, that worked extremely well. They are lighter weight than the DUI rock boots, and look a lot cooler
:D I will try them for ice diving, they worked good @ isle royal.

DUI Rock boots...they are cr*p. They are far too large to be used in most fins a diver would want or be able to find...Worse still, they restrict your ability to point your toes--something that should NOT occur if you consider optimal kicking techniques and propulsion as important...this is the biggest problem with them, and why they are cr%p.

Also, who needs to wear around a pair of boots big enough for a paratrooper to wear in the jungle? It is ridiculous... If someone's ankles are so weak they need this degree of support, they should take up miniature golf or watch their sports on tv....a manufacturer certainly should NOT be pandering to this as a "market".
As great as the DUI tls 350 suits are ( I have one and love it), it shocks me how pathetic the boots are. The ones that came with my suit are no better than garbage to me. If someone could pass this sentiment along to DUI , I would appreciate it :)

DUI has size 15, I have them.

I just checked mine and they are 13. They were still wet from sundays ice dive. Now I remember, I had some work done on my suit, and had the foot pockets replaced at size 15. I didn't drop another hundred bucks for the boots though. They would be much more comfortable and warm @ 14 or 15

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom