Rock boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bad.

Okay, maybe not bad but not needed.

Here is what I prefer to use -

IMG_1317.jpg

Less than half the cost of Rock Boots or similar boots and they fit my Jet Fins better. I wear a size 9 so I get Chucks in a size 10 to accommodate the neoprene foot on my drysuit. These are the new ones I just bought to replace my 5 year old Chucks.

Love my rock boots. They are size 13 and are snug on my feet (no air trapping when inverted). They fit in my XL Plana Avanti Quattro Pro's but it's tough to get the fins back off. I have to wear 5 mil booties in the summer to make up the room. I would not like built in boots, but then I've never tried them.

IMG_1317.jpg

Less than half the cost of Rock Boots or similar boots and they fit my Jet Fins better. I wear a size 9 so I get Chucks in a size 10 to accommodate the neoprene foot on my drysuit. These are the new ones I just bought to replace my 5 year old Chucks.

+1. Glad to see more Chuck Taylor dive team members! Like the anchor pattern! For cold water go at least 2 sizes larger.

I did the same thing - red Chucks. I even sewed some 1" webbing onto the backs with an awl so that I could pull the boots on while wearing gloves.

The ONLY problem that I noticed with the Chucks vs. DUI Rock Boots is that the Chucks have poorer traction on wet surfaces - I notice this when on a boat in choppy water.

It seems to me that I've seen more drysuit divers with attached boots wearing gaters or ankle weights than I've noticed for those wearing suits with "socks". Is it just me ??????

DUI Rock boots...they are cr*p. They are far too large to be used in most fins a diver would want or be able to find...Worse still, they restrict your ability to point your toes--something that should NOT occur if you consider optimal kicking techniques and propulsion as important...this is the biggest problem with them, and why they are cr%p.

Also, who needs to wear around a pair of boots big enough for a paratrooper to wear in the jungle? It is ridiculous... If someone's ankles are so weak they need this degree of support, they should take up miniature golf or watch their sports on tv....a manufacturer certainly should NOT be pandering to this as a "market".
As great as the DUI tls 350 suits are ( I have one and love it), it shocks me how pathetic the boots are. The ones that came with my suit are no better than garbage to me. If someone could pass this sentiment along to DUI , I would appreciate it :)

Your information seems dated. I saw what you describe in prior years. Last year when we bought the rock-boot was pared down closer to a sturdy wet boot and just a bit chunkier than high to sneakers.

it is another item to deal with but I do like the idea io being able to control the snugness when dressing.

If I had my druthers I'd like to see an attached boor with a lave feature to allow fit control beyond swapping socks.

That Velcro tab in the back to control extra lace length is crap. I need to find a better solution for that.

Pete

My DUI RockBoots are sized so that I can wear three pairs of socks under them in my drysuit for cold water. If I dive in warmer water the DUI RockBoots are too large, making the fit "floppy" - this is not to say that a single pair of RockBoots cannot cover warm and cold water, however, given my foot size I seem to need an in-between size of RockBoots that does not exist. I bought Chucks which are sized smaller and fit nicely when I wear a single pair of socks.

If you are trying to gauge whether you want to go with built-in boots or a sock with external boots, carefully consider if the built-in boots are suitable for the ranges of undergarments you will be wearing.

Back
Top Bottom