Robbing Paul to pay Peter... a disturbing trend with Revo Rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder in what other groups and cultures applying peer pressure against "talking" defines a "gentleman of the highest order"... is that truly a standard to live up to?

If you *think* you know what's really happening here, why don't you go ahead and trash the reputations of the folks who aren't talking.

If you *think* you know what's really happening here, why don't you go ahead and trash the reputations of the folks who aren't talking.

If you *think* you know what's really happening here, why don't you go ahead and defend their reputations.

Looks like you're trying to do that but failing miserably.

People with nothing to hide who are having their reputations trashed generally tell the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no intention of criticizing anyone as a person, let alone trashing anyone's reputation (why on earth would I do that). I am merely responding to what you have portrayed as a model behavior in your post. I do not think that what you described is a model behavior.

I would add that if what you described is not what you meant, or not what is actually taking place, you could simply clarify. That's the magic of dialogue, it enables people to understand each other while still remaining friendly to each other. Talking can be a good thing...

I am saying Paul appears to have acted in a completely immoral way, reducing revenue for a diving instructor to increase the revenue of a large business (comparatively speaking)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why this thread has been so difficult to read. Perhaps because of everyone that seems to be "in the know" being very guarded in their posts. I'm certainly not "in the know".

Someone explained it to me via PM in a slightly more straightforward manner than this thread. I'm not so sure revo is all that wrong in their policy anymore. It sure would go a long way for someone who is involved to post clearly, especially revo themselves. Since they already posted in the thread, they definitely know it exists.

Oh never mind.

Because it's none of your damn business, and if the people involved thought it was, they would come here to tell you all about it. Buy a rEvo, don't buy a rEvo, but the reasons for this thread are not important to your choice.

When I first started reading this thread, I was indignant about the situation, but have come to the conclusion that it really is none of my business. Most of the substance is between a manufactuter and it's reseller / trainer and is confidential in nature. We are not the arbitrators, nor should we be. The posts make for great reading but honestly, move on. This may be a matter for commercial law, not for end users who have limited exposure to the the situation.

a completely immoral way, reducing revenue for a diving instructor to increase the revenue of a large business (comparatively speaking)

That may or may not be nice. It may or may not be good business in the long run. But I do not see why it is moral or immoral. Most businesses if they increase their market share are taking away revenue from somebody else.

I'm explaining why the manufacturer wants a say in who teaches on their unit.

my question, maybe i havent said clearly: i get why ccr maker wants a say in who teaches on their unit, but what power does ccr maker have over training agency that training agency must ​give ccr maker any say?

my question, maybe i havent said clearly: i get why ccr maker wants a say in who teaches on their unit, but what power does ccr maker have over training agency that training agency must ​give ccr maker any say?

Nothing. I had this conversation with a training person at a training agency yesterday. If a rebreather manufacturer (hypothetically) had a concern with one of their instructors, they could call for a QA review of an instructor, just as you or I could. The results of that review would be confidential, unless there was sufficient evidence to expel the instructor. But your basic question is can a manufacturer get teaching status on a particular unit revoked, and the answer is no, unless there is something found in the investigation to expel the instructor.

However, the manufacturer has a lot of say in who becomes an instructor. As Pete said a while back, the RESA agreements allow a manufacturer to not let a person become an instructor in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom