Rob Murphy Loses Legs to Boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This update to the story was posted yesterday (still rife with errors in the actual story like the location of the accident). The doctor's story is one of the vessel's propellers disengaged (spun a propeller hub) and caused the boat to veer off course.
Makes you wonder if that is why he lawyered up (an "oh my God the failure makes it looks like I intentionally ran him down" response) or the result of him lawyering up (lawyer helping him come up with an act of god/mechanical failure so it is clearly an unfortunate accident, which by the way precluded you from hanging around in your malfunctioning boat to render assistance defense).

Somewhere I have seen a link to a board where the doctor was posting. Does anyone have that link?

I would be very surprised if the Doctor was posting about this on the Internet. I'm not saying he hasn't, he very well may have, but it would be pretty unusual. Given the basically guaranteed upcoming litigation, I'm guessing both his attorney and insurance company have told him to totally shut up about this incident and not say a word to anyone.

Makes you wonder if that is why he lawyered up (an "oh my God the failure makes it looks like I intentionally ran him down" response) or the result of him lawyering up (lawyer helping him come up with an act of god/mechanical failure so it is clearly an unfortunate accident, which by the way precluded you from hanging around in your malfunctioning boat to render assistance defense).

Sounds pretty fishy to me. "His proppeller disengaged" at that precise moment? That's got to be a one in a billion chance of happening. A second later and he would have totally missed Rob. So who the heck does he think he is kidding. I hope they pick the jury very carefully...maybe the prosecution can load down with divers and safe boaters. Can you say "drinking and driving"? Not only should he be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but he should lose his medical liscense.
My heart goes out to Rob, he is still a young man with his whole life ahead of him. Maybe he can get those new bionic legs...ya think?..at least then he can still dive....What a horrible tradgedy.

You spin your prob hub when you hit something...that is why the hub has a breakaway. You don't spin it during normal operation.

I can't and won't speculate on this specific incident. All I can do is offer my sincere wishes for Rob's recovery and a successful adjustment to a very disturbing situation. This certainly is a tragic incident.

I don't know the extent of boater-diver incidents of this nature in Florida. Fortunately we do not seem to have as many here off southern California. However it is obvious to me that enough boaters operate vessels in coastal waters with little to no knowledge of boat operation, safety rules... and often enough with too much alcohol in their systems. It amazes me that there isn't greater enforcement, especially when this lack of understanding or mind-altered operation leads to such terrible incidents. I am not suggesting this boat operator was intoxicated. Let the facts from the investigation reveal that and other aspects of this accident.

Is there not some laws that require a mariner to render reasonable aid when there is a life or death situation (assuming that this does not endanger themselves or anyone else). The doctor defintely knew he hit a diver and decided to take a quick look and then leave. No offer to help, no radio contact, nothing but leave the scene.

I think this is analogous to a doctor deliberately driving his vehicle off a roadway onto a sidewalk, driving over a pedestrian at a high rate of speed and then immediately leaving the scene.

The key word here is "accident". I can't imagine that anyone in his right mind would have done a thing like this on purpose. I'm sure he feels terrible about it.

I am a friend of Rob's and got a chance to visit with him yesterday at St. Mary's.
Here is my post from Spearboard:

I just got back from a quick visit with Rob. I had the privilege of meeting his parents and his girlfriend and a couple friends. He is definitely surrounded by an amazing group of people. Keep up the good work.

As for Rob, he is an inspiration!!! Despite obvious discomfort he is still quick to greet every visitor in his usual cheerful way.
Our conversation went exactly as you might expect; fish stories.

For those of you interested here is a link to the rapidly growing spearboard thread about the incident.
Bad Accident - Please pray for Headhunter561 (Rob Murphy)! - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

There are several fund raising and blood drive efforts in place as well. Some of the fund raising involves local dive boats that are giving proceeds to Rob from some scheduled trips.
What can be better than supporting a local diver by going diving?

-Jeff

PS:
I realize that many people on this site are not spearfishermen and may not even agree with it. This was not a spearfishing related incident. This was a dive accident while waiting to be picked up from a dive. Just like many of us do every weekend.

Last edited:
There should be a requirement just like getting a drivers license where they have to take both written and behind the wheel before they operate a boat. That would make it so that more boaters will be knowledgeable about boating safety and especially understand what a dive flag is and what to do when they see one. This would reduce the amount of boating accidents especially ones involving divers.

You spin your prob hub when you hit something...that is why the hub has a breakaway. You don't spin it during normal operation.

Not always the case. I've been running outboard powered boats since I was 12 and I've spun a few propeller hubs without hitting anything. Now granted, I usually owned boats that were overpowered and turning high pitch props..... (lot's of torque against the rubber hub).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom