Rob Murphy Loses Legs to Boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with DS. I was on a charter boat in Belieze and it spun a prop without hitting anything.
The weather was pretty rough and the seas were high. We were on our way back to the dock (after the dive) and a LARGE wave was rapidly gaining on us from the stern. It was higher than the bimini! I pointed this out to the captain who immideately throttled up to outrun the wave. We did out run the wave but spun the prop. We were able to find another boat nearby with the same outboard engine and asked the owners if they could loan us their spare so we could make it back to the dock before the cruise ship left us! True stroy. It is possible to throw a prop without hitting anything!

Last edited:
OK so Im new to diving and always try to be above the fears a new diver has. Most of these are connected to sharks and equipment failure, ect. After hearing this news it makes me upset that danger to divers can actually occur above the surface.

If a Driver needs a license to buy a Car, and a Diver needs a license to go diving, then why doesnt a boat owner need a safety and operations course to buy a boat. It seems like common sense for a boater to look for and avoid dive flags, but you cant trust people's common sense anymore.

Does anyone know what government dept. we need to contact to raise the rules for boat safety courses. It would make sense for an owner of a poweful machine to have to be certified to use it.

My Prayers go out to Rob and his recovery. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help make it mandatory for boaters to learn about safety and operations.

Kind Regards-Cate

OK so Im new to diving and always try to be above the fears a new diver has. Most of these are connected to sharks and equipment failure, ect. After hearing this news it makes me upset that danger to divers can actually occur above the surface.

If a Driver needs a license to buy a Car, and a Diver needs a license to go diving, then why doesnt a boat owner need a safety and operations course to buy a boat. It seems like common sense for a boater to look for and avoid dive flags, but you cant trust people's common sense anymore.

Does anyone know what government dept. we need to contact to raise the rules for boat safety courses. It would make sense for an owner of a poweful machine to have to be certified to use it.

My Prayers go out to Rob and his recovery. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help make it mandatory for boaters to learn about safety and operations.

Kind Regards-Cate

Cate,

Here's an opportunity to help spread the word. Check out this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...9-dive-flag-awareness-event-fl-statewide.html

Cheddar,
Take a look at Spearboard Spearfishing Community - Powered by vBulletin and scroll down to "Florida East Coast Spearfishing. There is a good line of communication there. His parents, friends, girlfriend, and assorted family have been keeping everyone informed of his progress.
As of yesterday morning he posted this: ( I hope this breaks no rules I am not aware of)

"I have to agreee with my mother and request no visitors today. Last night was the roughest night of my life, with high fevers and all sorts of horrible stuff I don't want to mention. I have an intense week of skin grafts and other painful operations this coming week and really need my rest. please keep me in your prayers.
Last edited by headhunter561 : Yesterday at 12:20 PM. "

Let us all keep him in our prayers.
Bill Black
Roseland, FL

Any updates on Rob???

Here is the update from earlier today from Rob's mom Sandie.

"Rob had a procedure today and it went well-Pray for GOD TO KEEP HIM INFECTION FREE!

Better spirits today and we are able to relax a little. Prayer is so powerful and we feel your prayers from across the world everyday. As a previous writer said, people truly are amazing, we cannot have had the strenght we do have without ALL of you. I will update tomorrow.

Sandie"

Sounds a little better than the previous day so lets keep sending hope and prayers his way.

Bad Accident - Please pray for Headhunter561 (Rob Murphy)! - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

Hi Guys.

Am missing somthing on the Board. Only a couple minor references to this tradgedy here.

I don't get it. Aside from pulling for the guy and helping him, I would have exptected to see more sabre rattling for diver awareness. Certainly seeing it on othere forums.

Several are trying to organize a dive flag awareness day for Jan 31st

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...9-dive-flag-awareness-event-fl-statewide.html

The carelessness of the boater is most likely the main cause...

Our sincere wishes for him to recover very soon.

Ozge & Colum
user_online.gif
progress.gif

So why have we not put a fund together yet, and a plan to do severe damage to the doctor/boater who hit the diver.
The level of apathy represented by divers is disgusting.
Boaters pay little if any attention to dive flags, and to diver safety.
We represent a large enough group to create a "return threat" to dangerous boaters. They need to become afraid of dive flags, instead of ignoring the existance of them.

Are you people a bunch of wimps, or are you going to fight for your safety?
Dan Volker
p.s.
And I would be verry interested in doing legally justified "damage" to this doctor--and would contribute plenty of funds to such an effort....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom