Rob Murphy Loses Legs to Boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know if the driver of the boat knows that someone was hit? If so, did he stop? If not, did anyone get the numbers?

I heard it was a DOCTOR that ran him over and waited for his attorney at the dock BEFORE talking to authorities. Arent you SUPPOSED to aid in a life or death situation? Not run and wait for your attorney?
***!
I really think, after found guilty, they should take his legs too! At least he wouldnt be the victim of a senseless accident!

I really think, after found guilty, they should take his legs too! At least he wouldnt be the victim of a senseless accident!
Works for me!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It truly is tragic and the doctor's response is pretty appalling.

On the other hand he is a doctor. As such he is probably intimately familiar with malpractice lawsuits and the need to lawyer up. Plus, at some point many if not most doctors stopped getting into the profession to help people and started getting into the field for the money. And he has deep pockets and knows it. Plus, many liability insurance policies require you to keep your mouth shut and won't always cover you if you say or do anything that compromises the insurance companies defense. On top of that, legal charges would probably result in a license suspension.

So, sadly, lawyering up at the dock is probably just normal doctor protective behavior in a litigious environment. And the fact is he will probably get sued and his insurance coumpany will most likely eventually settle it out of court.

The sad part is that divers gettting run over by boats is depressingly common. I have had them go right over me on deco stops and have had jet skis use my dive flag or bag as a pylon to do turns around.

Many wake boarders have a habit of trimming the boat nose high for maximum wake then drive around looking back at the wake boarder they are towing. They can't even see where they are going at times. Similar examples abound on just about any lake, river or well traveled point in the ocean.

Ideally laws would be passed that put more responsibility and accountability on small boat operators, particularly given that most jurisdictions don't require them to have a license or any particular training. But the reality is boat owners often out number divers by a strong margin and they can be represented by a comparatively powerful lobby so legislative changes tend to center on being more restrictive in terms of the divers responsibility and or more odious in terms of dive flags etc that must be towed/displayed.

It sucks on a lot of levels.

It truly is tragic and the doctor's response is pretty appalling.

On the other hand he is a doctor. .

Is there not some laws that require a mariner to render reasonable aid when there is a life or death situation (assuming that this does not endanger themselves or anyone else). The doctor defintely knew he hit a diver and decided to take a quick look and then leave. No offer to help, no radio contact, nothing but leave the scene.

I think this is analogous to a doctor deliberately driving his vehicle off a roadway onto a sidewalk, driving over a pedestrian at a high rate of speed and then immediately leaving the scene.

I thought there was a requirement for medical professionals, for example doctors and nurses, to render aid when they come across (or cause) accidents where there is a victim requiring treatment... I don't know any of the details of this, other than the tragic result, but it certainly seems like this situation would be much different if he had just stopped his boat and helped the diver. He could have still lawyered up before making any statements. A licensed doc aiding a person bleeding to death is not an admission of guilt in any situation, so there was no reason for him not to. I hope this prick loses his medical license in addition to a lot of other penalties...

Agree. This sucks massively.

Splitlip - first I've heard of it.

Our thoughts and prayers go to Rob and his family, hope he gets out of intensive care soon.

I also hope that whoever hit him loses the boat and a whole lot more in the impending litigation. While I agree with DA Aquamaster that the driver's (alleged) behavior is appalling, and you would like to think he would have stopped to help regardless, it also makes sense that he would lawyer up in that he had to know what is coming.

I'll bet you a steak dinner the boater was also drinking...

What a tragedy...

This update to the story was posted yesterday (still rife with errors in the actual story like the location of the accident). The doctor's story is one of the vessel's propellers disengaged (spun a propeller hub) and caused the boat to veer off course.

Investigation of weekend boat accident may take more than a month : Police : TCPalm

Investigation of weekend boat accident may take more than a month
Wednesday, January 14, 2009

MARTIN COUNTY It may be a month or more before investigators determine if charges will be filed in a Jan. 10 boating accident that cost a SCUBA diver his legs.

There are many tests to complete and many witnesses to interview, said Gabriella Ferraro, spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Robert Murphy, 26, was diving in the waters of the Cross Roads between Sandsprit Park in Port Salerno and the St. Lucie Inlet when he reportedly was struck by a 35-foot boat, the Master Plan, operated by Roger Nicosia of Stuart.

Murphy was rushed to St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach, where surgeons amputated his legs. St. Mary's officials couldn't be reached about his condition.

The accident has upset the diving community because of a number of reported near misses by pleasure-craft operating at high speed. Ferraro said investigators will look into those issues.

Somewhere I have seen a link to a board where a friend of the doctor's was posting. Does anyone have that link?

Edited to change from doctor to doctor's friend

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom