Rob Murphy Loses Legs to Boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just looked at the TV interview. The legs are amputated below the knee, which considering the way this could have gone, is probably the best outcome he could have hoped for. I wouldn't be surprised to see him walking in a year or so with prosthetics.

I'm not clear about one thing. If I'm reading these posts right there WAS a diveflag but the boater ignored it? Is that correct?

I recall when I learned how to dive that the instructor specifically stated at the time that if we were thinking about using a diveflag that we should set it up at least 200 metres away from where we were diving because a dive flag is a boat magnet....

This is obviously a sad commentary on the state of boater awareness and I suspect that the situation hasn't changed much since I learned how to dive.

Good luck to Rob with the recovery and rehab. Keep positive, bro.

R..

I just came to this thread. Makes me ill. I wish the injured spearfishermen the speediest of recoveries. Simply awful.

From my experience - this occurs with a consistent degree of frequency worldwide. It shouldn't happen, but it does. All I can hope is that the injured party will be able to receive a measurable cash settlement for the pain and injury he has suffered, and will suffer for an entire lifetime. If the bozo notary 'pubic' had insurance - good. However, there is a good chance that the insurance company will try to bail out through any number of numerous and microscopically worded clauses. I can guarantee you that it's somewhere in the document.

If insurance bails out - the bozo himself may try to run. I say this because I've seen it time & time again. Only years of aggravation ahead for this poor soul.

X

In Ontario, we also have a problem with boaters and jet skis disobeying the law and ignoring diver down flags and using the floats as slolom markers, which has resulted in some deaths and many more accidents and near-misses.

Some divers have resorted to using a bleach bottle as a dive flag, since boat and jet ski drivers know to avoid the hazards under the bleach bottles, thereby keeping those divers safer.

As someone who would rather be killed than lose my legs - I feel bad for this Rob guy. I hope he at least gets a payday from the offender and/or his insurance.

I saw Rob yesterday and he seems to be doing very well all things considered. He has left the hospital and is going through rehab.
I haven't heard anything about charges at this point. I am curious to see what happens with that as well.
Not even a month since the accident and Rob was already talking about getting out diving again. I'm sure he will be out there as soon as the Dr.'s give the OK.

I saw Rob yesterday and he seems to be doing very well all things considered. He has left the hospital and is going through rehab.
I haven't heard anything about charges at this point. I am curious to see what happens with that as well.
Not even a month since the accident and Rob was already talking about getting out diving again. I'm sure he will be out there as soon as the Dr.'s give the OK.

That's good to hear about Rob. Keeping good spirits is half the battle. As long as he doesn't give up he'll be ok. Keep us informed as to his progress. I'm planning a week dive trip later this year to either Florida of California so I'm waiting to hear about charges. I'm going to do the only thing I can and protest with my wallet if it looks like they authorities are trying to sweep this under the rug I'll go to California and e-mail Flordia's Governer and tell him why my money is going elswhere.

George.

Thanks for the update. Please wish him the best. I appreciate his fortitude and determination.

I do hope that the local officials & lawyers are working on this case. Let's hope for the best through the legal system.

X

In Ontario, we also have a problem with boaters and jet skis disobeying the law and ignoring diver down flags and using the floats as slolom markers, which has resulted in some deaths and many more accidents and near-misses.

Some divers have resorted to using a bleach bottle as a dive flag, since boat and jet ski drivers know to avoid the hazards under the bleach bottles, thereby keeping those divers safer.

I never thought about using the bleach bottle thing. Wouldn't be much help in the ocean, but certainly on a lake. No boater wants to risk hitting a stump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom