Rob Murphy Loses Legs to Boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only statement of any eye-witness I can find is from the victim (Rob), who in his recent (1/27/09 paper) interview said:
"Due to the quick action of the boat driver and some of the passengers they truly saved my life, they fashioned some tourniquets and got me back in to the hospital quickly."
In the context of the interview I took that to mean the boat driver that hit him, not the captain of the dive boat.
Anyone know for sure or is all this talk about hit-and-run just conjecture?
Rick

I've emailed the author of that interview for clarification. Specifically, which driver rendered aid? I'll post his response if I receive one...

I wish I belonged to SpearBoard as the love & positive energy being sent to Rob is so heartwarming that I feel I know him. Those are the posts I would want to be reading.

You don't have to be a member of Spearboard to read the posts. I've read the entire thread linked below and am not a member. You have to be a member to make posts.

Sorry, I apologize for my ignorance, where would be the best place for me to read about the objective facts in this case? The outcome was horrible, I would like to understand how it happened.

Most appreciatively, Craig

Try here:

Bad Accident - Please pray for Headhunter561 (Rob Murphy)! - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

Rick,

When boaters and jetskiers blatently disregard our flags, mess with them, drive through them, what recourse do we have? A slap on the wrist is what irritates me the most. Why does it take someone being injured to have a wreckless operator slapped with hefty fines? Or even charged with wreckless endangerment or assault? In the 2 years I have been diving, I have already had 3 close calls, 2 from jetskiers. No I wasn't in a high boat traffic area, the jetskiers were in the springs actually. When is enough enough?

I understand accidents happen...but people are getting more and more aggressive out there. We see it on our roads and we are seeing it in the water.

Carolyn:shark2:

... When boaters and jetskiers blatently disregard our flags, mess with them, drive through them, what recourse do we have?...
Not much... reality has an ugly head here. At Lake Martin, for example, jetskiers have been known to use dive flags for slalom turns; I've had boats run over my flag; Smedley had a flag stolen right out of his hands while he was dragging it. The only tickets I'm aware of have been issued to divers for getting too far from their flag.
If we demand vigorous enforcement of dive flag regs there will likely be 500 boaters and 20 divers show up at the meeting, and separation of boaters and divers will take the form of further restrictions on where we can dive.
If, however, we go to powerboat clubs and advertise in powerboat pubs and educate powerboaters on flags we may make it "common knowledge" and responsible boaters will come down on irresponsible ones just like they do for violating other rules of the road. This is the goal Rob expresses in his interview.
If we confront them with demands for law enforcement... they'll change the law and we will lose.
It ain't right. It ain't nice. But it's the way it is.
Rick

Not much... reality has an ugly head here. At Lake Martin, for example, jetskiers have been known to use dive flags for slalom turns; I've had boats run over my flag; Smedley had a flag stolen right out of his hands while he was dragging it. The only tickets I'm aware of have been issued to divers for getting too far from their flag.
If we demand vigorous enforcement of dive flag regs there will likely be 500 boaters and 20 divers show up at the meeting, and separation of boaters and divers will take the form of further restrictions on where we can dive.
If, however, we go to powerboat clubs and advertise in powerboat pubs and educate powerboaters on flags we may make it "common knowledge" and responsible boaters will come down on irresponsible ones just like they do for violating other rules of the road. This is the goal Rob expresses in his interview.
If we confront them with demands for law enforcement... they'll change the law and we will lose.
It ain't right. It ain't nice. But it's the way it is.
Rick

Accurate and very well put, Rick.

Rick -- I agree with you. It's sad, but true. Our best recourse is education, not legislation.

It is possible to do both.

Start with a rigorous, well supported, non-threatening education/awareness program followed by the appropriate legislation. This issue doesn't have to be a black and white, either/or issue. For the best result I recommend a balanced approach.

Once a majority of boaters are aware of, and comfortable with, the nature of the problem the appropriate peer pressure will result with the only outlaws being the dangerous, uncaring louts that we're all familiar with from everyday life. The legislation and stiff penalties will be there for them.

That sounds like a very good plan, Sasquatch.

Hmmm.... I've perused all the threads I've seen referenced here, and I'm confused.
Is there any eye-witness statement that the boat driver left the scene?
The only statement of any eye-witness I can find is from the victim (Rob), who in his recent (1/27/09 paper) interview said:
"Due to the quick action of the boat driver and some of the passengers they truly saved my life, they fashioned some tourniquets and got me back in to the hospital quickly."
In the context of the interview I took that to mean the boat driver that hit him, not the captain of the dive boat.
Anyone know for sure or is all this talk about hit-and-run just conjecture?
Rick

Rick & others,

I know reading through the entire Spearboard thread http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=75922 would be a huge task, but in the first 11 pages most of the questions many of you have are answered by Tony (Spearmax), the admin.
Be sure to read page 7 & 11.
In the very beginning Jim (jfjf) also contributes.
The divers who were in the water with Rob are Lisa (Petra) and Barry (Bubbafishing).
I don't know Scott's screen name.
Most of the rest are well wishers or not relavent.

Sure we don't have all the pieces, but much of it is not in question except for recent confusing news reports. From the above posts you will read that Capt Mike of Dykoke is the driver Rob was diving with and he directed the rescue. The doctor who hit him did not assist.

One other thing... I agree about education being very important, I'm heavily involved in the Dive Awareness effort... the fact is enforcement can and has been done for 2 years. It's not big yet because very few people responded in the last 2 years. Now they are waking up... imagine if every county in the state participated!

The below is a summary of information from Lt Bingham of the FWC:

Florida divers-down flag law: It requires that any vessel maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from any divers-down flag on waters other than a river, inlet or navigation channel. Divers must stay within 300 feet of the flag. In 2007, a free-diver was killed by a powerboat off Miami, prompting the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to use laser radar measuring devices to ticket offenders on a July weekend. In 2007, 11 citations and 31 warnings were issued in Broward Country. In 2008 more citations and warnings were written with fewer men and boats. They need to prove that the vessel was inside the 300 foot zone and that the vessel exceeded idle speed.
What's being done: A Dive Flag Awareness program is being organized by divers and the FWC. On Jan. 31, volunteers all over Florida will distribute dive flag information at area boat ramps and solicit signatures for the establishment of an annual Dive Flag Awareness program.

If you would like to sign the petition online, see below in blue:

Dive Flag Awareness Petition

In support of the Proclamation by the Governor of the State of Florida to declare a "Dive Flag Awareness" program, I hereby offer my signature, and address / phone number in order to verify said support.

During the dive flag awareness program the FWC will send special patrols to enforce dive flag laws, with a high degree of publicity on radio, television and newspapers so that boaters will be more aware and educated, creating a safer environment for divers throughout the year.

Signature:....... Address:.......................................... Phone number:...................

_____________ _______________________________________________ ___________________
_____________ _______________________________________________ ___________________

You can sign the petition in two ways:

1. You can e-mail me the petition with your signature, address & phone and I will relay it to the FWC. My e-mail address: chad.carney@yahoo.com (No information will be released for any other purpose, and I will not store your information.) Just copy (Ctrl C) and paste (Ctrl V) the above paragraph in blue, and add your full name, address & phone. Your e-mail address will verify your identity to the FWC.

2. You can mail in your petition with your signature and get more from your friends: Mail them to: FWC, attn: Lt Dave Bingham, 8535 North Lake Blvd. West Palm Beach, FL 33412

Please don't procrastinate... do it now!

Thank you in advance... Chad

Last edited:
I too believe in boater awareness as THE best way. In order to facilitate the reduction of their learning curve, I do believe that increasing the fine for the wayward boater to $1000 would speed their ability to comprehend the gravity of the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom