Rob Murphy Loses Legs to Boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not only an uncaring and inept boat driver, he also appears not to be able to decide whether he is a doctor or a notary from this site. (warning: extremely cheezy music on link) ROGER NICOSIA - NOTARY/SIGNING AGENT

At least it gives an email for him should anyone care to share their opinions of his actions.

edit: well it looks like the same guy, but must be an old page as is for California.

Hmmm.... I've perused all the threads I've seen referenced here, and I'm confused.
Is there any eye-witness statement that the boat driver left the scene?
The only statement of any eye-witness I can find is from the victim (Rob), who in his recent (1/27/09 paper) interview said:
"Due to the quick action of the boat driver and some of the passengers they truly saved my life, they fashioned some tourniquets and got me back in to the hospital quickly."
In the context of the interview I took that to mean the boat driver that hit him, not the captain of the dive boat.
Anyone know for sure or is all this talk about hit-and-run just conjecture?
Rick

I have wondered the same thing myself but hesitated to ask on this forum. I know that 2 incidents were mentioned on the same post and that 2 divers were hit but not injured, was that the hit and run? Or did the boat driver (Dr.) take off?

Thread moved to Accidents and Incidents.
Merged with existing thread on the mishap - Rick Murchison

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a terrible ...and I wish Rob the best with his recovery...I know it will be a long one but it sounds like he has a lot of support.

Not only are we divers but also recreational boater. There are plenty of laws and rules for boating..I don't think a "knee Jerk" reaction to make new laws is what is needed.. No one likes a boating accident, especially boaters because they are usually the only ones involved...

It sounds in this case that the boat driver broke plenty of laws, I'm assuming that Rob was diving from a recreational boat flying a dive flag. Many boating accidents unfortunatly also involve alcohol..hopefully the police took a BA from the boat driver. An if he is found to be operating recklessly he could have some very serious charges and if he is a doctor at least he probally has insurance and property for Rob to get some compensation...I know that isn't going to make up for losing his legs but its better than also being faced with massive medical bills with no help.

I grew up on the delta in Calif. which is haven to water skiers and now jet skis....a year ago I a dear friend lost his fiance when a boater hit her jet ski killing her instantly..water sports have hazards and when someone is being stupid people get hurt...I don't think we can make a law against people being stupid (but it would be nice)...so we need to really enforce the laws we already have on the books!.

From what Rob has posted at Spearboard, he is not at liberty to discuss the case since it is being investigated. He has stated, that they were in accordance to dive flag laws and were well offshore and near their dive flag with surface markers deployed. I have had encounters with boats, but worse jetskiers. I have had a few decide to play shalom course with our flags and SMB's. I think the message that needs to get out there is its not just a Diver down below, but a Human Being! There is so much angst out there between divers and boaters. It is time to re-evaluate the boating and diving laws and pack some teeth into sharp penalties when negligence is proven.

It's a big ocean out there and there is plenty of room for all of us!

All our prayers are needed right now to get Rob through the hardest part of his recovery. Also, please contribute to his fund! He will need it in the months ahead!

Carolyn:shark2:

I have actually had a dive flag taken by boaters in the past - just sickening what some people will do.

Yep, it's happened to me more than once and was only stopped in one instance after the charter captain threatened to ram them (some teenagers) if they didn't stop.

...There is so much angst out there between divers and boaters. ...
Hmmm... most divers I know are boaters. The angst is between divers and non-divers, whether the subject be dive flags or fishing or boating or skiing or any other water activity.
We need to do a much better job of educating the non-diving public, and... we need to make damn sure we educate our fellow divers and demand compliance with general safety standards among ourselves.
Glass houses and all that...
Rob's effort at dive-flag awareness education is a big step in the right direction; we need to offer him strong and tangible (read $$) support.
:)
Rick

...It is time to re-evaluate the boating and diving laws and pack some teeth into sharp penalties when negligence is proven...
Be very careful what you wish for, Carolyn :)
Many dive flag laws are written with wording that basically says the "diver is responsible for making sure his dive flag doesn't interfere with the free flow of boating traffic" - and while the "boats are to avoid the flag by 150'" wording is in there too, if a boat has to adjust its course to comply with that part of the rule, the diver is in violation of the law. I think we need to concentrate on education rather than enforcement, or we may be in for some nasty surprises.
Remember, there are more of them than us, and the majority makes the rules.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom