Rob Murphy Loses Legs to Boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone. Sorry for the short notice but I have been asked to do a quick interview tomorrow morning on 95.5 FM at 7:30 AM. It is the Kevin and Virginia show and they have a pretty big following in our area. I will try to promote the dive flag awarness issue as heavily as possible. If you get a chance, give it a listen. Also if you have any ideas, points you think I should cover, I would appreciate the suggestions. Thanks!!

ROb Murphy
I got this from Rob yesterday, but I only got to read it this morning!

That's one theory. Another theory is there was actually a mechanical issue that caused the vessel to suddenly veer off its original course which would make this simply a truly tragic accident.
Not rendering aid is simply criminal. The BIG issue is not the accident, but the hasty departure.

Not rendering aid is simply criminal. The BIG issue is not the accident, but the hasty departure.

Let's take our emotions out of the picture and reflect on WHY the FWC and Martin County Sheriff's haven't filed ANY charges. Could it be the evidence says nothing criminal occurred? You might want to go back to the statements made by the divers the evening of the accident where they stated the boat was passing by and veered off course suddenly. Those statements by the divers certainly support the story of a spun prop hub or steering failure.

Possible answer he didn't stop:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4154074-post56.html

You might also want to look at this:
Martin Memorial Medical Center
This doctor saved the lives of two water skiers at the age of 16.

Let's take our emotions out of the picture and reflect on WHY the FWC and Martin County Sheriff's haven't filed ANY charges.
As of two Saturdays ago, the FWC officer indicated that charges were still pending. I think they are making sure that the case is bullet proof before they hit him with it. That his lawyer met him at the dock speaks VOLUMES to me. I have not heard this part of the story refuted anywhere.

"Hi everyone. Sorry for the short notice but I have been asked to do a quick interview tomorrow morning on 95.5 FM at 7:30 AM. It is the Kevin and Virginia show and they have a pretty big following in our area. I will try to promote the dive flag awarness issue as heavily as possible. If you get a chance, give it a listen. Also if you have any ideas, points you think I should cover, I would appreciate the suggestions. Thanks!!"
Rob Murphy

I got this from Rob yesterday, but I only got to read it this morning!

Rob was great on the radio show! He had a big effect on the show hosts, who were not divers. They had no idea about dive flags and the regulations, which Rob explained in detail, describing the red & white flag and the 300' zone.

He reached a big audience of people that really need educating... and his message is so positive!

Chad

Rob was great on the radio show! He had a big effect on the show hosts, who were not divers. They had no idea about dive flags and the regulations, which Rob explained in detail, describing the red & white flag and the 300' zone.

He reached a big audience of people that really need educating... and his message is so positive!

Chad

Now that is very good news indeed.

That's one theory. Another theory is there was actually a mechanical issue that caused the vessel to suddenly veer off its original course which would make this simply a truly tragic accident.

There's not always someone to blame for everything that goes wrong :)

I live just south of Chicago so you'll get where I'm coming from on this but, Trust Me they are trying to bury it.

George.

Let's take our emotions out of the picture and reflect on WHY the FWC and Martin County Sheriff's haven't filed ANY charges. Could it be the evidence says nothing criminal occurred? You might want to go back to the statements made by the divers the evening of the accident where they stated the boat was passing by and veered off course suddenly. Those statements by the divers certainly support the story of a spun prop hub or steering failure.

Possible answer he didn't stop:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4154074-post56.html

You might also want to look at this:
Martin Memorial Medical Center
This doctor saved the lives of two water skiers at the age of 16.

Does anyone believe that a spun prop would cause a boat to radically alter course? I've driven twin engine boats when one engine completely cuts out and do not recall this occuring? Additionally, one would expect that IF a boat suddenly and spontaneously changed course without any input from the operator, that the immediate and instinctive reaction would be to slam the throttles back to neutral. That didn't occur either from what I've been told.

Isn't it much, much more likley that the prop was damaged by contact with the tank which exhibits significant prop marks?

Dan:

Dial the testosterone down a little buddy. It's okay to be upset, but not everyone on this board dives with a knife in their teeth.

Legal action against the boater should be controlled by the victim. If the victim wants to take civil action against the doc, then let him and his attorneys make the moves. If he asks for our help, I'm sure there are plenty of divers here willing to do what's needed. If you put the doc out of business, how is he going to pay all those medical bills after he loses a civil suit?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Flag Awareness:

This is a great idea, but it's using a flyswatter to hit a rat.

Until Florida REQUIRES Boaters to Pass A SAFE BOATING COURSE and Institutes Licensing Procedures, you will continue to have many thousands upon thousands of boaters on the water, that do not even know what a dive flag is, much less how to change their behavior in the presence of one. Until you can take a boating license away from the dumbass who runs over dive flags, there is little to keep boaters interested in avoiding them.

The only way to make this happen is to embarrass state lawmakers into action, because for most of the boating population, such a requirement will be a p.i.t.a. that they want to avoid. I see divers, dive gear cos., dive shop owners and insurance companies being the biggest groups to support such a thing, but otherwise it will be an uphill battle for you Florida folk.

I live clear up in Washington State, and I can tell you that I asked two boaters at my office today what the "diver down" flag meant, and neither of them knew what to make of it!!! Seems to me that if you purchase a boat, having a valid driver's license doesn't make a person instantly capable of understanding warning flags, bouy markers (seems some think that means "speed up"). Out of respect for those boaters who do understand the rules, spread the word to your fellow boaters, no matter where you live!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom