Roatan Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breakfast was fine....not that you can screw that up too much. For the most part lunch was okay too....minimal choices there. Make sure you eat inside the palapa for lunch OR spray your legs with DEET if you eat on the beach....the sand flies will eat you alive.

Dinner was the letdown. The desserts were very good and many times I just had a salad and dessert at dinner. Once I got the idea that dinner wasn't so hot....I'd get a second helping at lunch time. If you aren't picky, you should be okay. There were 7 women and 2 men in my group. The men were okay....no big deal....all the women were unhappy.

The food wasn't bad in respects to making you sick....not the case at all. It was just not palatable.

BTW, the group I was in kinda met there and stuck together as we were the only Americans at the resort that week!! Everyone else was from Italy or Spain.

Hmmm, you said Continental, which is what we were on out of Roatan to Houston on Saturday...but the plane was pretty full into Houston. Maybe we were on a different flight, but I thought there was only one a week out of there. Anyway, we stopped by FI to check it out during our island tour on Friday (we rented a truck for a day) and it was beautiful! We did notice right away the level of bugs biting compared to the West End - we also saw the giant "rats" running around - one person told us they were "rabbits", but another local laughed and said that was wishful thinking, more like rats than bunnies!

The flight from Roatan to Houston was packed for sure. I was referring to the flight from Houston to Cincinnati the same night two and a half hours later. It was a small plane with only a handful of people on it. My buddy referred to it as a flying cigar. It was actually quite a pleasure after being packed like sardines on the earlier leg.

Diver Lori:
The flight from Roatan to Houston was packed for sure. I was referring to the flight from Houston to Cincinnati the same night two and a half hours later. It was a small plane with only a handful of people on it. My buddy referred to it as a flying cigar. It was actually quite a pleasure after being packed like sardines on the earlier leg.

Funny, we were on that flight! You're right, it was quite empty. You must have been towards the front of the plane, because when I went to the back once there was only a couple of guys sitting by themselves. Anyway, small world...

roatanjan:
Always thought those creatures were "agouti's".

Yeah... that's the other colloquial name, apparently a monniker that only islanders tie to the critters!

Pronounced Ahh-goo-tea

Diver Lori:
Just got back from Roatan late last night.
The dive operation at Fantasy Island was very good....no complaints.

Lori

We'll be leaving in 10 days for a two week stay at FI. One thing I'd like to know before we go, I tend to drink a lot of sodas when it's hot and I'd rather not pay $2 a piece for them at the bar.

I understand that there's no stores within easy walking distance. Is there a way to get sodas at a decent price? I don't suppose the van would make a stop on the way to the hotel.

What we did was buy some in Houston and carried them with us. They also sold six packs in the gift shop. Not quite the bar rate.

There are some stores along the roadside between the airport and FI, but I don't know what prices or availability is like.

Diver Lori:
We flew through Houston and were anticipating a major traffic jam at Customs/Immigration in Houston, but were pleasantly surprised. Houston was the best experience we've had for Customs since we've been traveling out of the country. The lines moved quickly, baggage claim was quick and painless as was putting it back into circulation after inspection. I guess those Texans have alot of experienc moving livestock through chutes and apply it to their airport Customs/Immigration??? LOL

We got an immigration officer with an attitude. Got the third degree about our activities outside the US (I'm a school teacher in Honduras). Baggage claim was certainly not quick when we went through. Between the delayed baggage and the INS guy with an atitude, we barely made the connecting flight - got to the gate as they were doing final boarding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom