Risk for diving after surgery and radiotherapy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Connan

New
Reaction score
My family is planning to learn scuba diving (PADI open water course) for the first time in August. However, my mum (aged 52) has had Stage 0 breast cancer before and performed surgery (2016 March) and radiotherapy (2016 May to June). Are there any special risks associated with these operations?

By Stage 0, I assume you mean Ductal Carcinoma in Situ. If she had an axillary node biopsy as part of her procedure, she might have some shoulder movement limitation swimming. Otherwise, I guess the only other concern would be sun exposure to radiated skin area. The lung on the side irradiated might possibly have received a small exposure potentially producing fibrosis, but radiation for ca breast is usually tangential to the chest wall and the lung should not have been damaged. I would be interested in the opinion from the DAN Docs.

My family is planning to learn scuba diving (PADI open water course) for the first time in August. However, my mum (aged 52) has had Stage 0 breast cancer before and performed surgery (2016 March) and radiotherapy (2016 May to June). Are there any special risks associated with these operations?

Hi Connan,

How extensive was the surgery?

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks Doctorfish and DDM for the replies. Yes it was DCIS. The surgery was Lumpectomy and SLND. Only one piece of lymph is removed for checking and it is healthy so no more pieces of lymph are removed. Induration was over L 1-2H 3-5cm from nipple. My mum's hand has no constraint in movements right now and it is not swollen at all. She has normal movement abilities even immediately after the operation. The operation was over 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks Connan. I'd say as long as she has normal lymphatic drainage from the area around the surgery, is otherwise and is medically cleared to dive, she shouldn't have any problems. The concern arises when lymphatic fluid flow is affected, which could lead to increased risk of lymphatic DCS.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom