Rigging -- Almost Done

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
Everything seems to be working out pretty well with the rigging of my FredT/Pioneer 36, but I have a couple of questions:

1. I used the standard Halcyon Webbing Kit with hardware. I have used everything, but I have three small pieces of tubing not used. I assume at least one would be used for the power inflator hose, but why the other two?

2. Is the triglide fastener that is used on the rear, crotch strap d-ring also used to secure the rear crotch strap to the BP? I don't have any good photos of this, and it's not mentioned in that Halcyon pdf file, but I'm out of fasteners, except for the one holding the rear d-ring.

3. The webbing that passes through the Scubapro waist buckle: how much slack do I leave coming out of the buckle before cutting it, and how much webbing should I have on the side that passes through the buckle?

4. Once I cut the webbing, how do I treat the cut side so that it does not fray?

Thanks!

Congratulations on a great purchase.

1. If the pieces of tubing you mention look like they are cut from a bike tire inner tube, it sounds like they go on the power inflator hose. One goes near your collarbone. The second goes closer to the inflator. The hose routes through them both.

The third covers the zip ties that connect the inflator to the hose.

At least, that's how it is on mine.

2. Yes. I don't have a picture, but I route mine so that the short end of the strap is closest to my body, with the D-Ring on the outside.

3. I leave about 5 inches on the buckle end. That's way more than I need, but it doesn't get in the way and its there if I need it.

On the other end, I have about 6 inches when wearing a dry suit. I pass it through the buckle, crotch strap loop and knife sheath loop. It stays in place nicely.

4. I hit the ends lightly with a MAP (sp?) gas torch. The ends will melt.

1. Not sure what kind of "tubing" you are asking about. There should be 2 sections of small inner tube on the corrugated fill hose for the wing, and one section of 1/8" bunge under the left chest d-ring to hold said hose. There should also be inner tube sections on each chest strap.

2. Yes. The strap goes through the tri-glide, through the slot and again through the tri-glide.

3. Through buckle; I left a few inches and have it running back along the belt to the left. Hold loose end with inner tube. Other end same with me, I left more than I needed to have a long handle to pull on. With drysuit it helps to get it tight. If you cut it too short, you're screwed. Leave it long for now.

4. Matches, and radius the outer corners somewhat.

MD

1. 2 bands(tubing?) go on the corugated BC hose, do you have one on the crotch strap to control the lose tail?
2.Yes, the triglide performs double duty, holds the D ring, and is used to attach the strap to the BP.
3. Make sure the buckle is on your right side when you are wearing the BP. Do not place the buckle in the center or off to the left. Reasoning behind this involves use of a scooter, which is hooked to the front D- ring, the strap will move side to side, and can unbuckle the waist strap if it is not on your right side.
4. Melt it with a lighter, of a hot knife.
Have fun!!

MechDiver once bubbled...
There should also be inner tube sections on each chest strap.
Did you put two sections of inner tube on each shoulder/chest strap? The idea here is if one breaks, you have a spare to use without having to rethread the entire harness.

Use a lighter or small torch to fry the edges of the webbing. The inner tube is for the wing. I know some people that add an extra set of the inntertube so if one breaks they don't have to rethread the BP.

Eric

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Did you put two sections of inner tube on each shoulder/chest strap? The idea here is if one breaks, you have a spare to use without having to rethread the entire harness.

My harness was already setup when I got the bp, but there was only one long section on each chest strap. I cut a thin band off the bottom to hold my backup light on the right, and did same to other side to hold shears.
Good point though.

MD

Thanks for the comments, and assistance.

Tubing was a poor description. Yes, I'm talking about what looks like a bike tire tube. I've got the little power inflator bungee in the triglide with the left d-ring, so that's all set. I assume the intertube on the chest straps is for what you'll be clipping to the d-ring??

I don't want to get overly optimistic before I even get wet, but man, I am really pleased with this so far. The first thing you notice is how clean your anterior chest and abdomen are. No more grasping around for what's on your d-ring --- just look down and it's there.

Also, when donning, no more searching for which male buckle goes to which female end (my last bc had three straps!). One unencumbered strap and your good to go.

tampascott once bubbled...
Thanks for the comments, and assistance.

Tubing was a poor description. Yes, I'm talking about what looks like a bike tire tube. I've got the little power inflator bungee in the triglide with the left d-ring, so that's all set. I assume the intertube on the chest straps is for what you'll be clipping to the d-ring??

Okay, you got it. FWIW, the bungee to hold the inflator was much too short for me. I don't use it and have some very thin hollow stretch tube tied around the strap instead.

Yes, the inner tube holds whatever you have snapped to the d-rings, its made for backup lights essentially. And, as Scubaroo pointed out, if there is only one longer section, cut it in half or thirds as you only need a small section at a time.

Good luck on the maiden voyage =-) and don't get the chest straps too tight.

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom