"Riding your Computer Up" vs. "Lite Deco"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You still don't get it. Nobody is teaching the algorithm, they are teaching how to dive a computer.

Nobody taught me the core concepts of tables, they taught me how to dive them. But the tables, by their very nature, are immutable and standardized.

Once again, from the top: The OW/AOW agencies get together and define a dive computer standard program. Lots of them out there in the public domain. Pick one, alter it. It could be as conservative or aggressive as they wish, I don't care in the least. Decide on how to handle ambient pressure, sampling rate for the depth measurement, and agree on what every DC manufacturer should offer as the two standard training options in their recreational DC. The third option is whatever the hell the manufacturer wants to try to sell as their implementation to whatever.

"We get it, we just don't want it"

Anyway, my take on it is that the immutable tables had to have immutable numbers, and so did pre-calculated deco schedules written down on slates. The computer will recalculate them for you in real enough time, what you really need to understand is the risks of getting closer/over to the dark side. I.e. it's not the standardization of the program, it's the risk management that I am interested in.

(It's perception bias: I've been involved in enough "standard programs" to not be a fan.)

She was diagnosed with a pressure related injury and possible mild DCI. She was sent home with pain killers. She then contacted a recompression facility for advice and attended for examination. She was diagnosed with sinus damage and was advised that her symptoms would resolve in two days. Two days later the symptoms persisted and the pain was getting worse. She contacted the recompression facility again, DCI was diagnosed and she was given a number of recompression treatments which resolved her symptoms.

Even I was surprised by this one, I had to read this one a few times to convince myself it was not just a barotrauma.
She was diagnosed with DCI--Decompression Illness. Decompression Illness is a catchall term that includes both Decompression Sickness (DCS) and lung overexpansion injury--a barotrauma. In all likelihood it was a lung overexpansion injury, which is a form of DCI and is treated in a recompression chamber.

Here is one from 2007 (the first one I have on my iPad) 07/032

A diver was involved in refresher training in a swimming pool. She dived to a maximum depth of 4m. Some time into the dive she experienced severe ear pain, she was instructed to clear her ears but was unsuccessful. She came to the surface, still in pain, and the lesson was aborted. The following day she awoke with a severe pain in her ears and face. She saw her doctor and was advised to rest. The pain got worse and she went to her local casualty department. She was diagnosed with a pressure related injury and possible mild DCI. She was sent home with pain killers. She then contacted a recompression facility for advice and attended for examination. She was diagnosed with sinus damage and was advised that her symptoms would resolve in two days. Two days later the symptoms persisted and the pain was getting worse. She contacted the recompression facility again, DCI was diagnosed and she was given a number of recompression treatments which resolved her symptoms.

Even I was surprised by this one, I had to read this one a few times to convince myself it was not just a barotrauma.

This is an extreme example, plenty are in the 10 to 20m range, a couple of dives with reasonable SI. There might be a handful of these recorded each year so the probability is probably lower that 0.01 percent, but if an average diver does 100 lifetime dives then one in a hundred can be expected to get injured. That seem so like a significant risk, even if it looks like a small number.

Interesting. I suspect the correct interrtation of the 0.01 probability is not one in 10,000 dives but perhaps one in 1000 divers is predisposed to DCI and may suffer an injury 1 in 10 dives. I suspect they are medical anomolies rather than representative of the general diving population

"We get it, we just don't want it"...//... (It's perception bias: I've been involved in enough "standard programs" to not be a fan.)
Understood.

I'm a baby boomer. Cold War, everything rooted in testable physical terms. Hard, proven facts.

Gen-X, Millenials, and most notably Centennials aren't having any of that. Their reality is primarily defined by what they desire. Interesting insight, your complaint. Seriously, no sarcasm.

Maybe we just find something conservative by some definition given by someone or other and roll with it. You might, indeed, be right in the current day and time.

She was diagnosed with DCI--Decompression Illness. Decompression Illness is a catchall term that includes both Decompression Sickness (DCS) and lung overexpansion injury--a barotrauma. In all likelihood it was a lung overexpansion injury, which is a form of DCI and is treated in a recompression chamber.
How about this example then (07/128)

A diver conducted a 40 min dive to a depth of 14m with a 3 min stop at 6m. 20 hours later he dived to 17m with three other divers. He was using a new mask and had continuous trouble trying to clear it. During the dive he felt a 'strange sensation' in his back. He returned to the shotline with the other divers and they ascended to 6m and carried out a safety stop. He surfaced with a dive duration of 40 min. At the surface he felt very fatigued. The previous day he had been bitten by an insect and thought that he might have been experiencing an allergic reaction. Once back in the boat he took two aspirins and laid down for a rest. Later that evening he felt very tired again and sought diving medical advice. He went to a recompression facility where a severe DCI was diagnosed. He received three sessions of recompression treatment over a three day period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom