"Riding your Computer Up" vs. "Lite Deco"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. I just sort of hopped and skipped through the posts. It seems to me that "riding" up would be dangerous. What if something happened that caused you to need to share your air, or help someone/exert yourself therefore changing your whole profile.
Deco to me would be serious-never lite, the way I want to dive is NDL, if I hit deco it should be planned that way.

I knew that there are instances where you can be in deco (just a little deco like being a little pregnant) and by going up slowly you might erase that obgligation. But to do it on purpose? I don't get it.

Wow. I just sort of hopped and skipped through the posts. It seems to me that "riding" up would be dangerous. What if something happened that caused you to need to share your air, or help someone/exert yourself therefore changing your whole profile.
Deco to me would be serious-never lite, the way I want to dive is NDL, if I hit deco it should be planned that way.

I knew that there are instances where you can be in deco (just a little deco like being a little pregnant) and by going up slowly you might erase that obgligation. But to do it on purpose? I don't get it.
Get yourself a few more hundred dives

Read the whole thread. Almost every post makes good sense, really.

Why does everything need to be taught?

Because the other option is the School of Hard Knocks? Learn by surviving your mistakes?

Because the other option is the School of Hard Knocks? Learn by surviving your mistakes?

If learning is limited by what can be taught, then there can be no advancement.

When was the last time you learned something?

...//... Deco to me would be serious-never lite, the way I want to dive is NDL, if I hit deco it should be planned that way.
You add a valuable insight to this thread. I'm so far away from a pure recreational world that I have lost my recreational sensitivities.

...//... I knew that there are instances where you can be in deco (just a little deco like being a little pregnant) and by going up slowly you might erase that obgligation. But to do it on purpose? I don't get it.
Please read the thread carefully and then share your insights/concerns.

This thread should speak to divers like yourself. Read it and (gloves off) let us know...

If learning is limited by what can be taught, then there can be no advancement.

When was the last time you learned something?

What I wrote does not state or imply learning is limited by what can be taught. Experimentation and practice are useful in addition to learning from someone else, not instead of. Depending on what the subject is, learning something by being taught can have advantages over learning completely on one's own. A non-diver could teach himself to dive, but there are more efficient and safer ways to learn these days. As the saying goes, you don't know what you don't know. You can't teach yourself what you don't know you need to know.

You are new and are saying all the things you were probably taught in a class. But you are missing a huge aspect of this discussion.

You comment about deco being binary, in or out, "pregnant or not" is too simplistic and is a poor analogy and might be considered wrong by some people. If you re-read this thread, you will see many comments about people being over or under a fuzzy line.

Being in decompression is a very thin bright line when it is drawn by a computer, but in actuality it is a wider, fuzzy line. The ambiguity in the line is based on individual differences in physiology, exertion level, thermal condition, level of fatigue, which computer they are using (and what parameters have been selected) and probably many other issues which are not well understood.

So yes it is wise to stay out of deco, it is important to have enough gas, it is a very good idea to have some redundancy, but if you push an aggressive profile on your computer and you are cold, tired and out of shape and recovering from a flu, you are probably more likely to get bent on that dive than one where you were relaxed, warm, rested and actually skipped a one minute REQUIRED deco stop. The nuances of this fuzzy line, are the topic of a good bit of this discussion.

For example, you could do a bounce dive to 125 feet and go right to the NDL.. This also is a serious dive. If you run out of gas, ascend too fast, have a problem on ascent, you have put yourself into a "serious" situation, as you call it. After you do a few hundred more aggressive dives, and see your buddy's computer showing 6 minues of deco and yours showing none, your perspective will widen on this topic.

However, i do agree that you should not be going into deco without planning it.

What I wrote does not state or imply learning is limited by what can be taught. Experimentation and practice are useful in addition to learning from someone else, not instead of. Depending on what the subject is, learning something by being taught can have advantages over learning completely on one's own. A non-diver could teach himself to dive, but there are more efficient and safer ways to learn these days. As the saying goes, you don't know what you don't know. You can't teach yourself what you don't know you need to know.

Good instruction is an efficient way of acquiring knowledge and skills. Great instruction adds what you need to continue growing knowledge and skills without someone holding your hand. We are quite capable of recognizing our own shortfalls and taking appropriate actions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom