Richelieu Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to find one out in the open though, to get this shot with better snoot positioning and more pixels (I was using 30mm macro and had to crop a lot):

vc9O969.jpg

I was in Richelieu Rock a couple days ago for 2 dives with rough surface condition (~ 1.5m waves) but underwater was clear & calm. It's too bad there weren't as much fish as that of Koh Tachai & Koh Bon.

Great video ! Did you use any lighting or processing with your GoPro ? The quality is brilliant

Great video ! Did you use any lighting or processing with your GoPro ? The quality is brilliant
In some darker area I used video lights, but most of the time, no video light was used. I used 4K with 120 fps resolution of GoPro 10 with Vibrant color setting and auto white balance and without post processing.

Don't worry, they are still there. I'm just tired to see them all over Similan dive sites and tried to keep the video short (< 3 minutes). :wink:
Just came back from eleven dives at Richelieu, plus two each at Ao Pakgaad, Koh Tachai and Koh Bon, plus one blackwater dive.
On the downside, four huge Thai boats at Richelieu, 40+ divers in each, dropping everyone in the water at the same time - I'm told they like having crowds underwater; the more the merrier. Fortunately we were able to time our dives to occur, mostly, during their surface intervals. Also on the downside, almost no glassfish. In December, the pinnacle was absolutely covered in them, and in January there still was quite a healthy amount, but now it was just a patch here or there.
On the upside though, no current, no wind, clear weather, water surface almost as smooth as glass, and only occasional intrusions by the Green Monster (a sudden surge of cold, murky, green water), so I got to indulge myself in shooting sunballs.

aEipPz9.jpg

nBIJXxo.jpg

cUsOQKe.jpg

ZyPIy5h.jpg

0jBtdvw.jpg
y1HdpKH.jpg
N1KDUdO.jpg

Also came across an octopus that was as chill as could be, just sitting on top of a rock, slithering around his tentacles.

lBBEN7e.jpg

...and was perfectly content to pose for pictures with divers.

wioiWYj.jpg

There's also a blue-ring angelfish there that likes to play with divers' bubbles.

ffyyMv2.jpg

ZgrymjE.jpg

Not related to Richelieu, but on the check dive, at Ao Pakgaad (South Surin area), right at the end, I got to shoot some IRL Hentai.

6oNL5Ig.jpg

And with weather being so good, for the blackwater dive the boat went out west further than ever before, to the zone where the continental shelf starts to drop off, and we did it over 125m of water, meeting, among other things, a swimming crab.

V3HQnmH.jpg

Wow lovely photo's. Can you advise what the cost of the dives were? A couple of my regular dive buddies and I want to do some diving later this year and this place looks great. We aren't party animals and just need decent place to stay for a couple of weeks.

Wow lovely photo's. Can you advise what the cost of the dives were? A couple of my regular dive buddies and I want to do some diving later this year and this place looks great. We aren't party animals and just need decent place to stay for a couple of weeks.
This was a liveaboard - Richelieu Rock can be done on day trips by speedboat, but it isn't really recommended, as it's a pretty long trip out and back, and you still miss out on the early morning and sunset dives, when the most fish action happens. For this specific trip on The Smiling Seahorse, I paid 47100 baht - this included a superior cabin (en-suite shower; there are two basic cabins without en-suite that are slightly cheaper), nitrox pack (3600 baht), national park fees (2600 baht), transfers from Rawai to Khao Lak and back (1400 baht each way, shared), blackwater dive surcharge (500 baht), but also a 20% repeat customer discount (9400 baht off the base price of 47000 baht).

Note that the Andaman Sea diving season runs October to May, so if you want to do Richelieu Rock, 'later this year' needs to be either within the next few weeks, or in 6+ months.

Back
Top Bottom