Richelieu Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was a liveaboard - Richelieu Rock can be done on day trips by speedboat, but it isn't really recommended, as it's a pretty long trip out and back, and you still miss out on the early morning and sunset dives, when the most fish action happens. For this specific trip on The Smiling Seahorse, I paid 47100 baht - this included a superior cabin (en-suite shower; there are two basic cabins without en-suite that are slightly cheaper), nitrox pack (3600 baht), national park fees (2600 baht), transfers from Rawai to Khao Lak and back (1400 baht each way, shared), blackwater dive surcharge (500 baht), but also a 20% repeat customer discount (9400 baht off the base price of 47000 baht).

Note that the Andaman Sea diving season runs October to May, so if you want to do Richelieu Rock, 'later this year' needs to be either within the next few weeks, or in 6+ months.

Yes probably Oct - May. One of my UK dive buddies has 7 weeks vacation he has to use up this year. We have a 2 week trip to Bohol in May June then I do my sidemount and TDI nitroc deco course July August.

Oct - Dec would be another good time for us. Will look into the Smiling Seahorse. Thanks.

Yes probably Oct - May. One of my UK dive buddies has 7 weeks vacation he has to use up this year. We have a 2 week trip to Bohol in May June then I do my sidemount and TDI nitroc deco course July August.

Oct - Dec would be another good time for us. Will look into the Smiling Seahorse. Thanks.
Next season Burma may be possible as well - right now there's no way to easily transit between Thailand and Myanmar, but next year it might be possible again. Pre-COVID, The Smiling Seahorse used to specialize in diving Myanmar from Thailand, and from what Franck (the owner and operator) tells me, it's a lot like Richelieu Rock in general, but much less crowded, as hardly anyone bothers to go there. It's somewhat more difficult and technical, with stronger currents and more variable conditions, and on bad days, it can be crap visibility and empty reefs, but on good days, he says it's amazing - they started, initially, about ten years ago, doing half the trips to north Andaman area in Thailand and half the trips to Myanmar, and gradually shifted to almost all Myanmar until COVID hit.

Back
Top Bottom