Richelieu Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barmaglot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just came off a photography workshop on The Smiling Seahorse; we did Richelieu Rock for ten dives straight (check dive at Yellow Rock at Surin, then transitioned to Richelieu Rock, three dives there, four more the next day, three more the day after that, and then we headed off to Koh Tachai for blackwater). Thanks to COVID in general and Omicron in particular, very few boats are running now - half the time, we had the whole site completely to ourselves, and the boat was only half-full to boot, so there were barely a dozen people in the water.

The site truly is amazing, few places offer such a combination of wide-open reef scenics, schooling fish, macro opportunities, and occasional visits by large pelagics (none of the latter on this trip, alas, but whale sharks are not unknown there).

3LJ4OVX.jpg

wHeM9iw.jpg

XDA3XpX.jpg
eHvak04.jpg
JwJVa61.jpg

7icVQwT.jpg

nS7q84b.jpg

axg09Mr.jpg

R3mlUFv.jpg

j9ZWIz5.jpg

WP0l9ji.jpg

oT35y9F.jpg

4G5jPpD.jpg

e8pH4y1.jpg

Notably, The Smiling Seahorse is the only operator in Thailand that I know of who regularly run blackwater dives. Each trip includes at least one, more if there's customer interest and sufficient opportunity. I wasn't very lucky with blackwater on this trip, but I did get a few shots.

kgA6803.jpg

i6PnKEa.jpg

SG3Vaxw.jpg

FKCuToo.jpg

Great shots 👍

Looking forward to be there in 2 weeks. Leaving Houston next Tuesday, if I get negative RT-PCR on Sunday. Taking 2 swab tests just in case. With so many people contracting Omicron around here, the labs are swamped with work. Wanting to make sure that one of the results makes it to my e-mail within 72 hours of the departure.

How was your experience with entry/quarantine?

How was your experience with entry/quarantine?
I entered Thailand in October, so it isn't particularly relevant now - I used CoE (which, as I understand it, is no more, having been replaced by Thailand Pass) and Phuket sandbox. It was fairly easy, all things considered - I booked the flight and hotel, went to Thailand embassy in Herzliya (I live in Israel), filled out a form, left the papers and my passport, and got it back a few days later with a TR visa glued to one of the pages. I used that to fill out an application for CoE, got that within a few days, flew to Phuket via Abu Dhabi, did a PCR test at the airport, checked into a hotel, spent a week there (not confined to quarters; just scanning Mor Chana on my phone at reception once a day), then rented a villa in Rawai and moved there. At ~55 days I went to the immigration office in Phuket town and got a 30-day extension on my visa, then at ~85 days I went there again and got a 60-day COVID extension. Mid-March I'm planning to go back home, after about 5 months in Phuket.

It's quite difficult to keep up with entry requirements as they seem to change weekly, if not more often than that.

But I do find myself with a fair amount of regret that I chose the supposedly safer route of becoming a virtual shut-in here at home instead of heading for Thailand/Bali last November.

It's quite difficult to keep up with entry requirements as they seem to change weekly, if not more often than that.

But I do find myself with a fair amount of regret that I chose the supposedly safer route of becoming a virtual shut-in here at home instead of heading for Thailand/Bali last November.
Delta was on the decline then. But now Omicron is on the rise.

0CE63C90-0888-406E-8DE6-E5576FACD020.jpeg

My diving motto is, when there is a chance to dive there, take it! 😜

You still have time to dive the best in Thailand within next two months.
Apply 'Thailand Pass' first from 01st Feb.

Asking for trouble!

You still have time to dive the best in Thailand within next two months.
Apply 'Thailand Pass' first from 01st Feb.

Asking for trouble!

Meh

I can't go in the next 2 months

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom