Revo or Optima?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worded my statement badly, should have said "most people", and thank you, your comments very much helped me make the decision to go with the O2ptima.

I wasn’t speaking to you specifically. Just the general masses :)

no worries

Yep, seems the Revo has some passionate followers. I see quite a few people here diving the “yellow jelly bean” - they do look cool, especially in groups of 5 heading down to the shore....

Then there is the odd prism or two, looking like they have a bug cocoon on their back :))
How many belts do you own? I have a brown plain one and a brown fancy one. I have a black plain one and a black fancy one, then I got the belt that holds the concealed wep really well. Rebreathers are just like belts. Just one won’t do :)

So
Don’t buy anything without Shearwater

I watch people all the time pick up $1500 FX Optimas with Hammerhead electronics and hope to bring to current spec. Save yourself the aggravation.
So you're saying don't buy Liberty CCR since it has Divesoft hand sets?

@Superlyte27 How is the latest O2ptima (BM with BMCL and BOV) for weighting and trim?

E.g. if you are in a drysuit, heading in for a long cave dive (so - I'm guessing - moderate undergarments), how much lead do you have to use and where do you put it?

I'm asking from the perspective that on my try-dive on a O2ptima Classic (back in 2016) Dori (actually, her husband, I think) put 12 # of lead right on the very top of the unit to get me to trim out, and my feet were still sinking. Constant sculling to stay in trim. I was in a 7/5 wetsuit and Atomic Blade fins (i.e fins close to neutral).

I'm just wondering if that is normal, even with the latest unit.

How many belts do you own? I have a brown plain one and a brown fancy one. I have a black plain one and a black fancy one, then I got the belt that holds the concealed wep really well. Rebreathers are just like belts. Just one won’t do :)

That's funny ;-)

@Superlyte27 How is the latest O2ptima (BM with BMCL and BOV) for weighting and trim?

E.g. if you are in a drysuit, heading in for a long cave dive (so - I'm guessing - moderate undergarments), how much lead do you have to use and where do you put it?

I'm asking from the perspective that on my try-dive on a O2ptima Classic (back in 2016) Dori (actually, her husband, I think) put 12 # of lead right on the very top of the unit to get me to trim out, and my feet were still sinking. Constant sculling to stay in trim. I was in a 7/5 wetsuit and Atomic Blade fins (i.e fins close to neutral).

I dive my backmount unit in 70 degree water with Arctic undies and a drysuit using 4 pounds in my wing pockets. I use dive rite XT fins with it.
I dive it in the great lakes with a baselayer, two heated vests and a halo 3d wearing 8 pounds of lead in the wing pockets.
Both of these have me in perfect trim.
Also to note, I dive it with steel 4l tanks, not the aluminum 20s they come with.
Your mileage may vary.

Edited to add. I am what you would call full figured.

That sounds excessive

BLUF - I dive the O2ptima BMCL with iBov
In a drysuit, with either FE Artics or Santi Flex 190, I add no additional weight. The trim bladder is helpful, if needed, to balance out trim. The only caveat may be with the total setup - two LP50's in SM, Deep Six fins, and UWLD tall can mounted to the unit.

Back
Top Bottom