Revo or Optima?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume you're skipping the hud and adding a nerd? Or do they have the option of a nerd being a primary controller? I personally didn't like the nerd. It was cool the first couple tries, but then I found it annoying.
On the iBOV, they're great. I really like my divesoft bov and find it better quality than the golem gear alternative which seems more popular. It's light and doesn't bug your jaw as much. The biggest thing is finding the right mouthpiece for it and your jaw. I personally use the stock one. My wife moved to scubapro branded mouthpieces and they work best for her. I personally don't like the mavs being on the bov. Divesoft had had quite a few issues with them initially, so I just don't trust them as much. If it's an option, I'd go with chest mounted mavs as opposed to mounted on the bov

my NERD is my controller. it’s slightly more annoying on a build than the petrel would have been. doesn’t bother me enough to swap electronics but would not have nerd as the controller of I did it again.

I would never give up the nerd entirely I love it

At

At,

$1,000,000. per annum, you may want to consider giving the Chairman a nice Christmas ''Go Red'' donation!

Rose.
He’s not a non-profit. Where’s the tax deduction in that? But your math is correct. :)

I assume you're skipping the hud and adding a nerd? Or do they have the option of a nerd being a primary controller? I personally didn't like the nerd. It was cool the first couple tries, but then I found it annoying.
On the iBOV, they're great. I really like my divesoft bov and find it better quality than the golem gear alternative which seems more popular. It's light and doesn't bug your jaw as much. The biggest thing is finding the right mouthpiece for it and your jaw. I personally use the stock one. My wife moved to scubapro branded mouthpieces and they work best for her. I personally don't like the mavs being on the bov. Divesoft had had quite a few issues with them initially, so I just don't trust them as much. If it's an option, I'd go with chest mounted mavs as opposed to mounted on the bov

They recommended I get the normal hud, train on it and use it as a spare. Then get the nerd and install it after doing the course. That way you have a spare hud just in case.

I really liked the iBOV. It sat comfortably in my mouth and the MAV buttons were easy to find. I guess the bonus of getting my Optima in 2021 is that at least some of the kinks will have been ironed out. It was a great unit to dive regardless.

If I can get this probate issue resolved with the dive shop I’ll buy advertising space.

revo
- WOB - have heard revo not the best
optima
+ WOB - have heard this is one of the best
Mike,
Note you've bought your unit but I couldn't see one element covered in the feedback.

The interesting thing with rebreathers (like OC regs) is their WOB isn't subjective. It is a fixed constant for each specific rebreather specification. And variable dependent on design and DSV or BOV, BMCL or OTSCL or CMCL, Granular Sorb or EAC etc etc.

It will be a figure something like 2.1 J/L at 40m on Air at 75lpm for the rEvo IIRC.
No idea what the current variant of the Optima has been tested at?
Assuming both units are tested to the same standard, usually EN14143, you can then directly compare them. Exactly the same as OC regs tested to EN250; as were published in the old Diver magazine.
http://archive.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/group_tests/158687/15_regs_at_50_metres_the_tests.html
http://archive.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/group_tests/158688/15_regulators_on_test_the_regulators.html

Example of WOB testing for a rebreather with calibration methodology at https://www.opensafetyglobal.com/Safety_files/DV_OR_WOB_Respiratory_C1_101111.pdf
For those units the WOB 'is' the best on the market:
Single scrubber is 1.44J/L at 40m on Air at 75lpm
Dual scrubber is 1.38J/L at 40m on Air at 75lpm

WOB for a rebreather also has an OC component for its BOV
example https://www.opensafetyglobal.com/Safety_files/DV_DL_ALVBOV_Breathing_Params_A3_100318.pdf

Enjoy your unit.
If you need EACs, Apollo in Sydney import them in bulk direct from Micropore for the Open Safety military rebreathers they are the distributer for Micropore Brochure

There he is. Can’t believe he didn’t plug his rebreather yet :)

WOB isn't subjective. It is a fixed constant for each specific rebreather specification.

The WOB is a fixed constant? Wow! My rEvo sure does FEEL like the WOB changes - mainly depending on whether I'm flat in the water, head up, or head down. And especially if my trim changes between inhaling and exhaling. If I go slightly head high as I'm inhaling and flat as I'm exhaling, it feels like a really low WOB, but if I do it the opposite way, it seems like it's quite noticeably harder to breathe. With the WOB actually staying constant in all of that, I guess it just goes to show how fallible and subjective is the perception of work of breathing!

ok I'll bite .... take me down the rabbit hole Alice .... how do they measure WOB for CE. Upright, in trim, inverted and take average? ..... Ohh I see, I need a physics degree to interpret the results DV OR respiratory pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom