Revo or Optima?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it’s the greatest rebreather built. It’s a Ferrari to everyone else’s Honda

But that’s not the OP’s question in this thread.

The Farrari's good for impressing the girls. The Honda's the choice of driving to the Four Corners monument -- and driving back without a tow truck.

(Now got the Beverly Hills Cop theme tune stuck in my head!)

I think it’s the greatest rebreather built. It’s a Ferrari to everyone else’s Honda

But that’s not the OP’s question in this thread.
By the way, Honda is comparable to Ferrari since they also compete in Formula 1. Your counterpunch might be that Ferrari wins more races. My argument might be, the Ferrari team logistics is far superior. Which raises the question: Which brand of CCR suits your needs?
I recall from memory that the Liberty CCR has 2 independent CUs.

Often wondered if it would be possible to have a drain on the DSV where any liquid could be removed.

6.89US $ |20/25/32/40/50/63mm PVC PE Tube Tap Tee Water Splitter 1/2 3/4 1

Here you go man just tap one of these into your hose

full.jpg

or shove in a few extra "shamwows" like I do in mine

I started on an Optima with rev-c hammerhead computers. The rebreather dove and breath great, but I hated the computers. Had to be serviced several times. I then tried a rEvo and really liked the cleaned chest that the back mounted counter lungs provide. I have been diving one ever since. Now that the Optima comes with Shearwater computers and you can use cartridges or sorb it looks like a great unit.

I think it comes down to front vs back mount preferences. The front provides better water clearing abilities. I prefer the clean chest and ability to look around better.

Good luck - you won't go wrong with either. I am getting an itch to get something new and plan on looking hard at KISS Spirt or Sidewinder. I have done the cross over training on the Spirt and really liked everything. It is is so compact for travel is why I am thinking about switching.

Eric

I started on an Optima with rev-c hammerhead computers. The rebreather dove and breath great, but I hated the computers. Had to be serviced several times. I then tried a rEvo and really liked the cleaned chest that the back mounted counter lungs provide. I have been diving one ever since. Now that the Optima comes with Shearwater computers and you can use cartridges or sorb it looks like a great unit.

I think it comes down to front vs back mount preferences. The front provides better water clearing abilities. I prefer the clean chest and ability to look around better.

Good luck - you won't go wrong with either. I am getting an itch to get something new and plan on looking hard at KISS Spirt or Sidewinder. I have done the cross over training on the Spirt and really liked everything. It is is so compact for travel is why I am thinking about switching.

Eric

Thanks for sharing. On paper I’m currently leaning towards the optima and will have a try dive on Sunday so that should provide some practical angle on the subject. My instructor has a sidewinder which he showed off recently. That setup looked really nice - though he is more into cave diving so that makes sense.

Please excuse this stupid question…

What is a scrubber cartridge? Isn’t it an expensive option to filling your own? What’s the benefit of a cartridge over a normal scrubber?

What is a scrubber cartridge? Isn’t it an expensive option to filling your own? What’s the benefit of a cartridge over a normal scrubber?

The O2ptima can use an EAC cartridge's or loose sorb, the EAC is more convenient especially on a smaller boat. The biggest benefit is in helping to prevent a caustic cocktail, especially on the O2ptima with the horizontal scrubber placement which helps to prevent the stack from soaking if partially flooded. The two features together are simple and brilliant. IMO it only takes preventing one caustic to make it worth it, the expense isn't really that much.

Extendair Cartridges are pre-packed -- Good info at: This Link
It is a roll of sorb vs granular -- Less apt to channel, no dust and more tolerant to getting wet. I think these probably are better protection against a caustic cocktail.

I recently had about 12 ounces of fresh water in my cannister and did not know it until I unpacked and took the cartridge out.

They are more expensive than granular sorb.

Yes, costs roughly 4x the amount as loose sorb. But impossible to pack wrong. Very little chance of caustic, boat operators and Liveaboards love them because they are boat safe. Super safe and super convenient at a cost.

It’s really really hard to get a caustic in an Optima with either sorb though. Really really hard.

I have pulled my loop out in class at the beginning of a dive, letting it flood for a solid minute, purged the rebreather and made a two hour dove without ever surfacing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom