Reviewers/testers needed for talking dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I particularly like skeptical people. If you heed what they say, you end up with a product that actually works. :D

You can put me in the skeptic category. One of the things I like about diving is that nobody can nag me underwater! Could you give it the voice of HAL from 2001?

More seriously though,have you considered how some divers might come to rely on this too much? Maybe one day the warning voice never comes not because everything is OK but because the computer has flooded. Similar to diving a eCCR and not looking at the O2 readout because you have not heard any alarms.

If someone has to make noise UW, it should be seldom and really important. Will the warranty cover the actions of other irate divers? I have seen a "Buddy Call" that went for a solo dive on a live-a-board. I can only guess what happened.

I'm sure for some divers it will say

PULL UP
TERRAIN!

PULL UP
TERRAIN!

lol

You can put me on the list Mike.

R..

You forgot: "WHOOP, WHOOP, DON'T SINK!"

c

Last edited:
Would you mind saying what gear you were diving in? I keep my computer fairly near my head and with a hood on I can't hear it.

I like the idea in general for those who get engrossed and can use a gentle prod.

I was diving warm water in the Bahamas without a hood. I would definitely have to turn it up with a hood. It has been tested with a 3mm beany, but nothing heavy for a hood yet.

...Still, I hope it's a success, and maybe someday I'll get one, as long as the voice for the warnings can be recorded by the same female voice that did the star trek computer.

Given that Majel Barrett died last year, I doubt we can hire her for the voice. With applogies to McCoy, "I'm a programmer, not a miracle worker, dammit".

Even better, let's get a computer that can provide helpful reminders like "You are approaching your maximum depth for this O2 percentage, and don't forget your girlfriend's birthday next week."

As it happens, the first tests were on a weeklong trip on my girlfriend's (i.e. wife's) birthday, so I had that covered. :wink: Besides, my wife is good at reminding me and if I forgot, I would be joining Majel Barrett.

You forgot: "WHOOP, WHOOP, DON'T SINK!"

c

Actually it would be fun if you could download different voices into it like you can with an auto navigation system.

If you ascend too fast a booming Mr. T voice could tell you

SLOW DOWN FOOL!

LOL. This idea has fun written all over it. I bet even if it's just another dive computer for the rest that being able to download difference voices will be a big selling point. Everyone is looking for ways to customize their gear.

R..

Sounds like a good idea for new divers who never remember to check their air enough. For diver who already pay attention it may not work as well. I like the idea though. Something different than the normal beep beep beep

I would say this would be a horrible idea for new divers that forget to check their air. That would only be reinforcing bad habits.

That being said I can see several uses for it.
--Low viz
--night dives (don't have to always press the light button)
--long deco stops
--lose your mask, your backup mask and buddy (can still get dive information to get to surface safely)

if nothing else, mike, i wish you success because you have a sense of humor!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom