Reviewers/testers needed for talking dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike_Mayfield

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Digital Dive Tech is looking for reviewers and testers for a new talking dive computer we are designing. All levels of divers are needed, from newbie to tech. If you would be interested in helping us make this product great, please send a private message to Mike_Mayfield or email directly to Mike.Mayfield@digitaldivetech.com.

Features include:
  • Spoken depth and alert information
  • Great for photographers, novices, solo, far sighted
  • Spoken safety and deco stop countdowns
  • Nitrox to 40%
  • Air warnings without needing air integration
  • Customize to match your wrist/console computer
  • Inexpensive second computer

Interesting idea... and perhaps Mike might benefit from a discussion of his ideas here?

I would like to suggest that for certain types of diving, perhaps deep tec and cavern, a talking computer may well assist in the same manner that it assists fighter pilots - that is to say, you're busy doing other stuff and a gentle reminder to check something else might be useful.... I also have to say that I have no experience of tec or cave diving - but I have flown numerous fighter planes on various game consoles! :D

For recreational divers I wonder if it might be a little like taking a GPS navigation aid on a walk through central park - informative but essentially redundant. I am somewhat averse to divers becoming solely reliant on their computers, and therefore wonder if a 'talking computer' might have adverse psychological affects in terms of divers 'listening' to their computer and not their training and instincts. Anybody who's tried to navigate a car via GPS and been sent in the wrong direction (I have, in Brisbane last year!) will appreciate that the computer is not always correct.

My next question is how does it communicate? A computer that talked underwater would be next to useless without some sort of earpiece. This means watertight ear seals. Masks already exist for this to help with equalization problems and also for underwater MP3 players - but amongst the few people I've known who have possesed such items, they were not well enjoyed whilst diving.

I have dived with a computer that had a display in the mask. I found it cumbersome and distracting; in the same way that one inevitably ends up watching the subtitles to a movie even when the movie itself is presented in a language one understands. I found my vision constantly moving to the computer display, simply because it was right there in my field of vision. Will constant use of the mask computer mean that eventually you train yourself to look where you're going, not at the computer display? And will divers be able to disassociate themselves from the friendly voice in their ear saying they must do something wven when their training suggests it's wrong?

So - although this post might seem a bit negative, I'm trying to throw an objective point of view at a potentially great idea.

Discuss! :D

C.

Thanks for your thoughts. Since the product is not released yet and the testers are under NDA, I can't go too deep into the details here, but I can make a few general comments in response.

The product revolves very much around the idea of an occasional "gentle reminder" rather than a frequent "nag". If you don't get near any limits that might indicate a problem, Digital Dive Buddy doesn't say very much. A typical dive announces your depth every 10 minutes, tells you if you get close to your NDL limit, reminds you to check your air at a few strategic psi levels, and counts down your safety stop each minute. That's it. It is meant to work as a reminder to check your wrist computer or gauges at strategic times, but not to guide your dive.

If you need deco stops, get near your PO2 limit, or reach several other warning levels, the computer gets chattier, giving you warnings and counting down your deco stops. Personally, I think this is a good idea, since this is important information you don't want to miss, but it will be interesting to see what our testers think.

An earpiece is not needed. The product is mounted on your mask strap or inside your hood, close to your ear. You can adjust the volume so that you can hear it, but others around you aren't bothered. A special feature even keeps bubble sounds from disrupting what the computer is saying. I dove a prototype a couple of weeks ago and I could hear it clearly, while my dive buddy didn't hear it at all, even when she was close.

Two reasons:

1) 40% is generally accepted as the limit for recreational Nitrox use and the initial version of the computer is targeted mainly at recreational users, although it does support deco stops.

2) We wanted to limit the number of choices in the menu for setting the nitrox level. This may be reconsidered, based on feedback we get from our testers.

There is no technical reason for the limitation. The algorithms used support any level of oxygen from hypoxic to 100% in their decompression requirements calculations, the instantaneous CNS PO2 limit, and the cumulative PO2 clock.

Thank you everyone for the fantastic response. We have all the testers we need already and are looking forward to working with them over the next several months to test Digital Dive Buddy in all kinds of situations.

At this time we are no longer requesting testers, but thanks again to everyone that expressed interest. :cool3:

Mike - keep us posted please as to your developments - I have to admit (you probably guessed) to being a bit skeptical about the whole thing but I'm always happy to be proven wrong!

Cheers

C.

I particularly like skeptical people. If you heed what they say, you end up with a product that actually works. :D

Sounds like a good idea for new divers who never remember to check their air enough. For diver who already pay attention it may not work as well. I like the idea though. Something different than the normal beep beep beep

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom