Review: Waterproof Ultima DGS Push-Pull System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Ultima dry gloves, but man are they a pain to get installed correctly. I'm basically not surprised the instructions were not present. The instructions you get with the main DGS kit are basically horrible and forced me to drive to my LGS to get the rings installed properly. Glad I did too because two of use nearly broke our fingers getting the gloves installed.

Not something I am looking forward to doing any time soon again.

Truly the ultima is a pretty great system once the gloves are on the rings pretty Bullet proof. Rolock is easier to use at all levels while the maker of Rolock claim a long history of the concept they are just now gaining notice in the US. There are a lot of good dry glove systems and most people only change types when they change drysuits, the QCS suit rings really make changes easy and I really like that those suit base rings are becoming pretty standard.

I love my Ultima dry gloves, but man are they a pain to get installed correctly. I'm basically not surprised the instructions were not present. The instructions you get with the main DGS kit are basically horrible and forced me to drive to my LGS to get the rings installed properly. Glad I did too because two of use nearly broke our fingers getting the gloves installed.

Not something I am looking forward to doing any time soon again.

Go on amazon or to an o-ring supply house and purchase size 341 x 70 durometer (shore) o-rings. They are nearly as secure and far far easier to use to mount glove on the Ultima DGS glove-side rings.

Your fingers will thank you for them.

-Z

Go on amazon or to an o-ring supply house and purchase size 341 x 70 durometer (shore) o-rings. They are nearly as secure and far far easier to use to mount glove on the Ultima DGS glove-side rings.

Your fingers will thank you for them.

-Z
Oh great student of dry glove systems, prey impart your wisdom ...

preferred material for the 341 O-rings .... Nitrile/Buna-N, Viton, silicone, flurosilicone, EPDM, neoprene ....?????? I was thinking silicone just for some color if I use them as a backup/outer ring (I skipped Perfluoroelastomer since ones for both pairs of glove rings would run me the cost of my suit. Seriously > $450 per O-ring?!)

since I'm ordering stuff ... do you happen to have the replacement spec on the red glove-ring to suit-ring sealing O-ring handy?

Oh great student of dry glove systems, prey impart your wisdom ...

preferred material for the 341 O-rings .... Nitrile/Buna-N, Viton, silicone, flurosilicone, EPDM, neoprene ....?????? I was thinking silicone just for some color if I use them as a backup/outer ring (I skipped Perfluoroelastomer since ones for both pairs of glove rings would run me the cost of my suit. Seriously > $450 per O-ring?!)

since I'm ordering stuff ... do you happen to have the replacement spec on the red glove-ring to suit-ring sealing O-ring handy?

I just bought the standard Nitrile/Buna-N version of the 341x70 durometer o-rings. I can attest that they work well for the application of securing gloves and for use as a back-up o-ring in place of the lip on the cosmetic/backup band that come standard in the Ultima DGS kit.

I have no experience with similar size silicone o-rings...the 70 durometer is measure of the hardness of the material which has an affect on how stretchy (or not) the o-ring is...I am not sure if silicone o-rings are/are not inherently more stretchy than nitril o-rings, so while I can understand your desire for some color flare, I am not in a position to advise on this subject.

If you want some color on your system, try a couple of wraps of colored electrical insulating tape. My cosmetic bands were looking like they had developed little slits in them and to protect them I wrapped some tape around the base of the rings directly over the cosmetic bands. I heated the end of a flat tip screw driver and used it to help fuse the end of the tape so that it would not come undone in use.

Unfortunately I do not have the specs for the sealing o-ring other than the inner diameter measures @98mm.

-Z

Just an update to state the Waterproof Ultima push-pull rings are not available on the retail market in the US at this time.

The US importer/distributor of Waterproof's products is TUSA (Tabata USA). The push-pull rings are not an item that TUSA has as part of their product catalog. I spoke with a TUSA rep who mentioned their new product year starts in November and what they will be carrying is unknown to their general staff until September/October, and there is no guarantee the push-pull rings will be included.

If anyone is interested in this product, the best bet at this time is to order them from an EU website or have your local dive shop specifically request TUSA add the product to their catalog.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom