Review: Waterproof Ultima DGS Push-Pull System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Got my hands on a set of Waterproof Ultima DGS Push and Pull system today.

I had asked my local dive shop to order me a set out of curiosity and then contacted Waterproof with some questions about how they actually work...they could not provide any explanation beyond the videos they put on youtube that offer no closed captions and no voice instructions.

SInce Waterproof could/would not provide any details I had the shop cancel my order as I did not think that this gadget would be worth 44 euors.

The problem is that the shop messed up and did not cancel the order.

Here is everything needed to know about the Push and Pull system:

1. The Push and Pull system is not a complete dryglove system, it is an add-on to the Waterproof Ultima DGS.
the
2. The Push and Pull system is designed to make it easier to attach and detach the glove-side ring from the cuff-side ring.

3. The product is simply made from a plastic ring that snaps into the glove side ring, with a ring of spring steel in a wavy pattern around the plastic ring (See photos below).

4. My dive gear is packed for a move back to the US so I just played with the setup on my workbench in the garage with a spare set of glove and cuff rings.

I did not find that the Push and Pull system made it easier to attach the two halves of the system, but it did work to make it easier to detach....at least once I figured out how the system is supposed to work as there was no paperwork in the package.

5. The way it makes it easier to separate the two halves of the Ultima DGS rings is that by pressing on the Push and Pull ring it compresses the spring steel and the plastic ring effectively levers the glove ring off the cuff ring. If you want to remove the right hand glove, you would use your left hand to compress the push-pull ring with your left hand pressing on it from the outside of the glove on the right hand. This is shown in the video, but I watched it a bajillion times before this action was evident and I only understood it while messing with the system at my workbench. (see video at first link and pay attention at time 0:25 - 0:28)

6. The wavy spring steel keeps the push-pull ring from rattling around and keeps it disengaged so that it will not inadvertently cause the 2 halves to separate....basically one is plunging the plastic ring down against the spring pressure so that the plastic ring pushes the 2 halves apart instead of prying the 2 halves apart with ones finger tips (which is a real pain in cold weather).

7. The inner diameter of the Ultima DGS glove-side ring with the Push-Pull ring installed is 90mm. The inner diameter of the cuff side ring without the Push-Pull ring is 98mm at the o-ring and 100mm of the actual ring.

the Push-Pull ring sits just proud of the front of the glove ring but this does not seem like it would cause any issue and it is covered by the glove as seen in the videos posted by Waterproof.

So....in the end it seems like the system works, it is a rather intelligent design to make the system easier to separate.

Is it worth 44 Euros though? I think the add-on system is a bit expensive for what it is but it seems to work. My opinion is that this is a solution to an inherent design issue with the Ultima DGS. Don't get me wrong, the Ultima DGS works really well as a dryglove system but they can be a pain to separate after a dive...the difficulty is necessary to a degree in order for the two halves of the system to remain connected under diving related situations, so while the difficulty to separate the two halves is not a "design flaw" it is still an issue that folks should be aware of, and the Push-Pull add-on rings seem to significantly help address that. Perhaps this should be included with the Ultima DGS rings moving forward.

The major disappointment is that Waterproof could/would not explain how the system actually works and even more disappointed that they provided no documentation...the two rings just came in a small paper envelope with nothing except some new cosmetic/protective rings marked "Ultima Push and Pull" that go around the base of the glove where it is stretched over the glove-side ring.

What I don't know is if the wavy metal spring steel piece is made from stainless steel or not. While it lives inside the glove which "should" remain dry, there is always the chance of a ruptured glove and everything inside the glove becomes wet. I will forward the question to Waterproof asking for info of what the metal wavy ring is made from as it would be a huge disappointment to find out that it rusts...I will post a follow-up once/if I get a response.

If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to post them here or reach out to me by direct message.

Cheers,
-Z
20210419_183950[1].jpg

20210419_183943[1].jpg

Yea, I think I’ll just buy more Rolock.

I too think highly of the Rolock 90 system that you and I both recently acquired. It works well and does not have the inherent issue that the Ultima DGS has that the Push and Pull rings were designed to resolve.

That being said, it is far more affordable to spend 44 euros on the Push and Pull add-on than 150+ euros for the Rolock system.

I would definitely recommend purchasing the Rolock 90 system to anyone looking for a new dryglove system, but if one already has the Ultima DGS and they wanted to spend less to make their system function a bit easier/better then the Push-Pull would definitely be an option.

Cheers,
-Z

I too think highly of the Rolock 90 system that you and I both recently acquired. It works well and does not have the inherent issue that the Ultima DGS has that the Push and Pull rings were designed to resolve.

That being said, it is far more affordable to spend 44 euros on the Push and Pull add-on than 150+ euros for the Rolock system.

I would definitely recommend purchasing the Rolock 90 system to anyone looking for a new dryglove system, but if one already has the Ultima DGS and they wanted to spend less to make their system function a bit easier/better then the Push-Pull would definitely be an option.

Cheers,
-Z
Don’t spend the 44, sell the ultima and the Rolockare very cheap :wink:

I removed my push and pull system, the metal spring’s open ends are creating small pin holes in my gloves. I will file them down and try again.
Separating the gloves from the suit, before each dive I lubricate the o-ring with saliva or grease, whichever is most convenient at the time, works well for removal.

Reactions: Zef
I removed my push and pull system, the metal spring’s open ends are creating small pin holes in my gloves. I will file them down and try again.
Separating the gloves from the suit, before each dive I lubricate the o-ring with saliva or grease, whichever is most convenient at the time, works well for removal.

I also tend to add just a small layer of grease just about every other dive, or at least every other dive day. I think it helps.

Reactions: Zef

That is a great point and even greater concern that I had not thought of as I literally received them yesterday and only played with them at my workbench to understand how they work. Let us know how it works out after filing the ends.

Overall, I think the Ultima DGS is a good system particularly for integration with the Si-Tech QCS oval ring system BUT since it came out the Rolock 90 dryglove system has been introduced and that system just seems better all around. The Rolock 90 is easier to set up straight out of the box, no special technique/jigs/hurt fingers to mount gloves on the rings, they attach securely, and are easy to don/doff.

I tend to agree with @lexvil that perhaps one could save some hassles/frustration by selling their Ultima DGS and purchasing the Rolock 90...

...again, the Ultima DGS works well but the Rolock 90 is just much more user friendly and therefor more convenient to use.

-Z

I received word from Waterproof that the wavy metal spring is indeed made from stainless steel.

I had a spare moment today and have radiused the ends of the metal spring. Here is a before/after type picture...20 seconds with a dremel and grinding stone:
20210420_140824.jpg

I like the simplicity of the Ultima DGS and had Rolock not introduced a version of their product that integrates with the Si-Tech QCS oval wrist system, I would continue to strongly recommend the Ultima DGS.

-Z

That is a great point and even greater concern that I had not thought of as I literally received them yesterday and only played with them at my workbench to understand how they work. Let us know how it works out after filing the ends.

Overall, I think the Ultima DGS is a good system particularly for integration with the Si-Tech QCS oval ring system BUT since it came out the Rolock 90 dryglove system has been introduced and that system just seems better all around. The Rolock 90 is easier to set up straight out of the box, no special technique/jigs/hurt fingers to mount gloves on the rings, they attach securely, and are easy to don/doff.

I tend to agree with @lexvil that perhaps one could save some hassles/frustration by selling their Ultima DGS and purchasing the Rolock 90...

...again, the Ultima DGS works well but the Rolock 90 is just much more user friendly and therefor more convenient to use.

-Z

Though I have not tried the 90 just the 3. I 100 percent agree with this. If buying a new system get the rolock, best I've tried so far.

My plan is to type up a review of the Rolock 90 and also type up a comparison of that system to the Ultima DGS.

While I really like the Rolock system I have to disclose that up to this date (20 April 2021) I have only a couple of dives with them on my drysuit. Until I have more time in the water with them I cannot vouch for the durability of the Rolock 90 system yet, the way I can for the Waterproof Ultima DGS.

An area that concerns me regsrding the Rolock is the sealing surface is the end face of the cuff-side rings, I wonder if scratches or dings to this area of the cuff side and the respective surface of the glove-side ring will cause problems keeping them water-tight. Also the sealing o-ring is not very robust and perhaps it does not need to be but it barely sits proud of the groove it lies in whiich gives me concern that if it takes a set due to the compressive nature of how the two halves lock together that this could bee a leak prone area...time and use will tell though, and for now right out of the box the Rolock 90 works well.

This reminds me that when I packed my gear I attached the gloves to the cuffs and need to partialy back them apart so as not to have that sealing o-ring on the face of the cuff ring under compression for a long duration as it will be weeks if not months before we are settled and unpacked and back in the water.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom