Reverse Patch Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Working on wings at the moment. When I have that sorted out I think that I will call Wayne and dump everything into his lap for assessment...

Good plan! Wayne can help you with wings too...

M

Yep.

Sounds quite familiar. Except for the sidemount thing, waiting to see if it catches on... :wink:

My trim sucks, buoyancy control is fine.

:D

So I've read The Six Skills several times, read Staying Alive and am now back to actually performing the six skills. Stuck on the bottom of the page that requires one to maintain trim and control buoyancy using only breathing. Been about a year on that page, made a major project of it. Maybe I'll blog it all someday, who knows. I have time, no rush. Getting close.

I like the side mount - but need to work on trim and get a bit more head down - I am currently reading Sheck Exley's blueprint for survival - having just come across the bit about silt it reminded me of the other day - I had thought my buoyancy, trim and finning quite good until a recent dive. I was diving with two BSAC advanced instructors in a quarry - with about a foot of fine silt on the bottom - where possible we were swimming through each obstruction we came to and had just swam through a car - in the rear window, through the body and out the windscreen, I was second in line. The first instructor raised a little bit of silt, but not too much and I had no problem seeing going through and I thought I was being very careful with my frog kick and gentle finning, but then I looked back ! - I couldn't even see the car any more - the second instructor found the car and made it through. After the dive I was going to comment on it but he beat me to it - his first words were "Dude - you need to work on your finning !"

He was right, we had a laugh about it and have now worked on it - this quarry is good place for it - the silt is deep and very unforgiving. So when I can fin along, close to the floor without kicking up the silt I will feel a lot better, how often do we look back and see what we are kicking up? - I certainly shall be looking now.

P

Seeking someone to " take a look at you now " is like the differance between the 40 foot stop on air vs. 70 percent. Wayne is a great guy, but there are others as well.
Eric

Seeking someone to " take a look at you now " is like the differance between the 40 foot stop on air vs. 70 percent. ...//...

Thanks, agree, and no offense intended with this post.

Meaning a waste of my time and effort...

Restated: I could progress sooo much faster by other means.

I'm old enough to know myself. I'm in no hurry and I enjoy the journey.

Reminds me of an old Mad Magazine clip, some kid was feeling down about his attempt at making a balsa and paper airplane because someone else ran a glue-bead around a Titan III plastic model and snapped both halves together...

For me going to see Wayne and others is/was part of a journey I am still on. I also am enjoying the ride and am in no particular hurry to get to a unknown destination. The finer point beingoverlooked is that north east divers tend to be mission driven, and based on the weather, opportunity is sometimes limited. Underwater dressage exercises take a back seat to the mission, even though the skills would prolly help the execution of the mission.

I was on a dive with a bunch of Jearsey wreckers once, and they were pushing the bugs out of the way to get to some brass widget. I gladly bagged them up, as bugs take less time to cook than brass. YMMV
Eric

The finer point beingoverlooked is that north east divers tend to be mission driven, and based on the weather, opportunity is sometimes limited. Underwater dressage exercises take a back seat to the mission, even though the skills would prolly help the execution of the mission.

I was on a dive with a bunch of Jearsey wreckers once, and they were pushing the bugs out of the way to get to some brass widget. I gladly bagged them up, as bugs take less time to cook than brass. YMMV
Eric

I don't think that I have ever seen the flavor of NE Atlantic diving so well expressed in so few words. :wink:

For me going to see Wayne and others is/was part of a journey I am still on. I also am enjoying the ride and am in no particular hurry to get to a unknown destination.

I see the "here and now" as my second life in diving. -circling back around to pick up and master the skills that I trod all over on my first pass. Enjoying this ride too...

This hits close to home for me. First, how exactly do you get a transponder at Dutch with just "OW, AOW, Nitrox, Dry Suit, Rescue" ?

AFAIK, you can't. You need a solo cert and a dive plan and a time you're getting in (and AFAIK, getting out) and a deposit for the transponder.

It's such a huge pain in the ass that even though I have a solo cert, I've never bothered to use it at Dutch.

AFAIK, you can't. You need a solo cert and a dive plan and a time you're getting in (and AFAIK, getting out) and a deposit for the transponder.

It's such a huge pain in the ass that even though I have a solo cert, I've never bothered to use it at Dutch.

Really? I found it to be pretty easy... and a great way to spend a quite afternoon stalking (with camera) the koi of the east end. I just paid the $16 to rent the transponder, told them my dive plan (hanging around the short of the east end from the pump house to the south shore Cessna), and went diving.

What problem did you have?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom