Returning to diving - New equipment purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cant go wrong with scubapro gear. the only thing I would shy away from is the oceanic computer I have seen about a dozen of them have leaking problems

Cant go wrong with scubapro gear. the only thing I would shy away from is the oceanic computer I have seen about a dozen of them have leaking problems

Well that sucks to hear (about the oceanic computer). I was also looking at the Mares Puck Air II Computer. Less expensive than the Oceanic and also got great reviews and is supposed to be very easy to use.

So many options. Its like when you're a little kid and your parents bring you to toys-r-us and say "pick out anything you want" and you're stumped because there are so many choices! LOL

I have never seen an Oceanic computer leak that wasn't diver error. The batteries are user changeable and with a little care it's not hard to do. Course you can't fix stupid and I've seen divers forget the oring, leave sand or dirt on it, or just put the door back on and not give it that 1/4 turn to lock it.

I agree with Jim. If you follow directions, are careful and use the proper tool, there shouldn't be any flooding issue. At least I've never experienced any such issue with my VT-3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So as things have it, I changed up the gear I was originally going to purchase - and took the plunge. I purchased the following:
Cressi Air Travel BC
Cressi MC9-SC Ellipse Reg
XS Scuba Airwave Inline Octo
Mares Puck Air II Dive Computer with Compass & Quick Disconnect
Pinnacle 3mm Tempo Merino Elastiprene Super-Stretch Wetsuit

So there you have it. Thanks guys for the advice and recommendations etc. I'm going on a week long trip to Key Largo in April. Getting my Advanced Open Water while i'm down there. I'll do a review of the equipment upon my return.

I'm a big tropical fish guy. (My other big hobby is my salt water aquarium).

If you are into saltwater tropical fish you should check out some of the south shore inlets on the east end in the fall. Tropical fish come up over the summer with the gulf stream and can be found as far north as Massachusetts. They are also very easy to catch as the water starts to get colder but the survival rate for the ones I have caught has been low.

No snorkel? good move.....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom