Returning to diving - New equipment purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no plan to dive in water below 40...//....

We all said that in the beginning. :wink:

Before you buy anything, get a copy of David Rosenthal's book "Scuba Diving the Wrecks and Shores of Long Island, NY"

If you gotta have ScubaPro, go MK17 G250V (I like 'em) just to keep your options open. They work fine in warm water. You live in the middle of a thriving (but pretty much unseen/unheard on SB) group of divers.

Check out this group: New York City Sea Gypsies

Everything you noted is good gear. But realize you are paying for a name as well. If you have money to burn and want to that's your deal. Having went thru two divorces I know the temptation to go out and show her how good you are doing without her by spending a butt load of cash on the shiniest toy you can rub in her face. Note I said shiniest not the best. Because the truth is as others have noted there is gear out that performs just as well and will still allow you to have some cash left over for drinks and dinner with a new lady.

I am surprised at your assertion that LDS's in NY are cleaned out. It may be that they need to place some kind of stupid minimum order to get things in. The other part is that this is the time when they are cleaning out last years goods to make way for new stuff that will be coming in during the next two months after making deals at DEMA back in November for it.

I sell gear and am not limited by such nonsense. I can get any item in the lines I carry in 3 days and will do special orders at no extra cost. I also recommend a cold water reg if you plan on diving locally.

I had and have Oceanic, Sherwood, ScubaPro, and Aqualung regs. I'm in the process of getting rid of all of them and going with HOG and Edge Gear regs at sometimes half the price or more and with just as good of performance. Even before I became a dealer I was moving in this direction. Don't fall for the hype, flashy ads, and shiny stuff. Amd take every magazine review with a grain of salt as they are often just regurgitated ads from the mfg's.

I'd check with the dealer you are looking at to make sure this is not old stock and that you get full warranties with everything. As for travel the Knighthawk would be on the bottom of my list. It's big, bulky, lots of extra padding you do not need and that will require more lead to sink.

I'd choose a plate and wing or something along the lines of the Zeagle Express Tech with 30 or 35 lb bladder that will pack in backpack and still be able to handle steel tanks and a heavy suit locally. I;d also ditch the AIR II unless the shop is going to provide you with training in it's use. I highly recommend that if you've never used one before. Personally I don't encourage use of them and in some of my classes do not allow them without hooking up a standard octo as well.

The Pro plus is a very good computer and if you like consoles it works well. has very big easy to read display and a nice feature for those who want it is the quick disconnect it has. I prefer wrist mounted gauages myself.

Your personal gear is another matter. I would advise getting your first mask from your lds and making sure it fits. I have a policy with the ones I sell of a try and if it does not fit return it minus shipping for a refund. Provided it is not scratched or damaged. Ie take it in the pool a couple times if it does not fit send it back and I refund the purchase price itself. You still need to pay shipping charges on it. (about $10 both ways total). But if the mask you are looking at does not fit that package deal is worthless and saves you nothing.

DRY snorkels are a waste. This is my best seller :Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services It rolls up when not needed and comes with a quick detach clip.

The V-16 fins are ok. I've tried them but prefer a paddle fin. My favorite is the Hollis F-1. Have two sets of them.

Again if you want to spend the money on bling as well as function it's your choice. But consider this, you are free now. You may decide that diving is now not only a hobby but perhaps a new way of life for you. Dropping funds on gear is going to happen but think of where you may be down the road. That money you spend now could have been spent on something less costly but just as good and allowed you to pick up some extras.

What old gear do you still have? I would start by fixing what you have depending on what it is. I still dive scubapro MK3, MK5, R108HP and R109s. These are solid, easy to service yourself and every bit as good as what is on the market today. If you have to go with new I would recommend HOG regs as they are good quality, cheap and made to be serviced by the diver. If you are going to buy on line you should look at Leisure Pro in Manhattan and save yourself the shipping costs by picking the gear up yourself. If you have old gear you need looked at let me know, I am also from LI.

I sold my old gear years ago - so i'm starting from scratch again.

Just think. Years ago had you kept the gear and got rid of the wife....

LMAO!!!! That is the BEST POST EVER!!!! LOL!!!!

And a thanks to richkeller too. I didn't know there was a LeisurePro store in Manhattan. I work in lower Manhattan. I'll have to check it out!

I know most divers that experince freeflow's are typically below 40F, but A buddy of mine had his set free flow in Mid 40's water in April at Dutch on platform. So for me Anything below 50F I would suggest something else as that combo does have a habit to free flow. Also keep in mind if you plan on doing any diving at dutch the water below 60-70 doesn't warm up much above 40F. Again this was an isolated incident and I have not seen it happen again mor do I think it did. But if it's in your plans to start diving locally would recomend a reg for cold water as it can be used cold/warm and they perform the same. Again Personally if your looking to stay price conscious Check out the HOG regs they have cold water 1st stages and perform just as well.

If you need the name go with the MK17/G250V or A700 as your main. Ir even look into Atomic regs.

We may have to get together one day over some cold beers. You and I have a lot in common!!! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom