Returning to diving - New equipment purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agreee there is a lot of great diving that can be done locally... Albeit will require some dedication and preferably a drysuit, Some tough wet but personally not me I get cold too easily I dive dry in any water temp the drysuit will give you more comfort, But if you prefer warm water dont blame you.

I remember a time that I thought all I needed was one wet suit, one tank, a reg, etc. Silly me.

That was my first time around in this sport. Since I returned to diving it seems I "needed" a couple different wet suits for various locals, extra tanks, cold and warm water regs, then a dry suit, then a wing, then doubles (and another wing), and on and on.

Plus quite a "few" extras that seem to have become necessary once I began diving with some of the folks that I have met here threw Scubaboard. Associating with this group sure can expand your diving horizons (and cost you $), but what fun.

Did an overnight with some hardcore Sea Gypsies. OMG, gear had nothing to do with the day. Everyone came back happy (to my surprise). Independent, free-thinking, fun group. I still fantasize about a certain freckle-face and a belly-dancer on the Garloo.

You guys rock. Seriously, I only get one go-round on this planet. You guys have it figured out...

Just plain harmless fun.

Most LDS in New York are cleaned out this time of year. They have to "order" everything. I would rather deal with someone that has everything in stock then place an order and hope it arrives before my trip.

As far as a22shady had responded regarding diving in cold water with the Scubapro reg- I thought the Scubapro MK25/S600 was fine for cold water diving. I do plan on doing the vast majority of my dives in tropical locations - but just in case I decide to dive locally - I figured the MK25/S600 would fit my needs in cold water too.

Yeah she got the dog too!! MY DOG!!! The whole divorce process is so tilted towards favoring the wife its ridiculous!

Anyway, I appreciate all the advice. Thanks all!
I do not know what LDS you went to but we are a Scubapro dealer and pretty much fully stocked .Our onsite pool is heated to 81 degrees.

We may have to get together one day over some cold beers. You and I have a lot in common!!! LOL

I have a lot of accounts in lower Manhattan, could have that beer at Jeremy's Ale House.

You live in NYC and not shopping at Leisure Pro? I can identify with your situ as I am going through a hotly contested divorce and returning to diving and had all the cold fresh water and wetsuits I wanted on my C dive in '91! have a Oceanic Delta 4 and some Tusa XpertZoom fins I really want to get wet but had all the cold fresh water and wetsuits I wanted on my OW C dive! You may choose what ever the salesman desires but shop around and do not pay retail! I am considering exchanging the BCD for a BP & W. I now have a SeaQuest Predator, do not like the weight integrated BCD's and wish to be able to modify what I have to fit any type of diving I may get into later. Save the cash for your destination and more gear! New underwater camera or perhaps the new Liquid Vision video mask? Just dive safe and enjoy yourself sans anchor!

I'm not going to suggest what to get, but a couple of things to consider.

1.) The Pro Plus 2.1 is a well-regarded AI console computer. The Atomic Aquatics Cobalt is substantially more expensive, but the sheer intuitive ease of use & an internal rechargeable battery that should last several years are very nice benefits to me (I didn't like the idea of replacing batteries or paying to have it done, and regard the typical dive computer as about as easy to program as a digital watch, which is to say a confusing pain in the butt). To me it was worth the cost; to many people it would not be. Just say'in, check it out & see how it stacks up for you. I do at this point prefer to use an analog compass (which some Pro Plus 2.1 packages come with and some don't! Be careful!) rather than a digital compass (Cobalt), but I've not done a lot of compass work yet.

Note: Some people can master a typical dive computer's operation & retain that proficiency, perhaps with minor review before trips, over time and are comfortable with that. To them, paying hundreds for an easy, intuitive set of scrollable menus with words instead of abbreviations may seem ludicrous. To me it was a dream come true.

2.) Do some thinking about a wrist dive computer, either AI (e.g.: Oceanic VT4) or not (Geo 2.0). I didn't want a transmitter to change batteries in and have jutting off the first stage, personally, but a wrist unit is awfully nice to glance at to conveniently watch your depth, and a lot of people on the forum prefer wrist units.

3.) I don't recall your scuba boots choice, if any, but if you anticipate shore diving in Bonaire, get a pair of SeaSoft Sunrays (or equivalent) to protect your feet from the ironshore. Regular scuba boot soles aren't protective enough.

Richard.

Great advice from everyone! I have lots to think about. Yeah i would love the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt computer but that is some SERIOUS cash! Maybe down the line I'll upgrade. I actually tried on Cressi's new Air Travel BC yesterday. I really liked the feel of it. It definitely takes up less space then the Knighthawk, and it has gotten fantastic reviews. So i'm a little torn now. I know as others have said that Long Island offers some great wreck diving - but i did a number of cold water dives back in the day after I got certified. Not a huge fan. I'm a big tropical fish guy. (My other big hobby is my salt water aquarium). So i really enjoy tropical dives soooo much more then cold water diving. So the Cressi Air Travel BC would fit my warm water travel needs. Maybe the Knighthawk is overkill. The only issue is the Air Travel BC doesn't come with a cumberband but it DOES have slots built-in to add one. If I go with it I will probably add a cumberband.

While looking at equipment I discovered the Sony NEX series of cameras. If you are looking for an underwater camera system - the NEX series is fantastic. Has interchangeable lenses including a 16mm wide angle for cheap and lots of other lens - best part is the fantastic small size. Talked to Reef Photo and Backscatter in CA - both places said the same thing. Most everyone apparently leaves that Nikonos in the storage box.

There is a big dive convention near O'Hare field - Our Underwater World and it is open to public in a couple of weeks - cheap admission around 200 exhibitors with lots of gear. DO IT

Man get a hog Reg set and a back plate and wing. LOL

sent via nookcolor N2A.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom